how long will bacteria live without ammonia source?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boojumsnark25

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, I'm trying to keep my tank cycled until I'm getting fish, so i'm adding about 4ppm of ammonia a day (all getting converted)...problem is, tonight I ran out...I can't get more till 3-4 tommorow (about 16 hours from now)...I had enough for about 1-2ppm of ammonia, so the supply should run out in about 4-5 hours, meaning that they won't have any for 10-11 hours...will they be able to survive that long? I know nothing about bacteria. Thanks!

You'll be fine until then. I just let mine go for 36 hours with no ammo in the tank (48 hours between dosing 2ppm) and it was no problem.

This is a good question though, I've asked and gotten 2 answers. 48 hours, and 50 days. So I have no idea, but you'll be okay til tomorrow no problem.

There has been some papers put out on the bacteria's tolerance of no food source. Some say they die VERY quickly without a food source (ie they start dying in less than a day, but bounce back quickly since they replicate so quickly), while others have shown that they enter a dormancy state (ie suspended animation like a sea monkey) that is virtually impossible in our tanks to replicate the conditions for them to "wake up" (requiring >100ppm ammonia). Since we don't know exactly what strain/species of bacteria we have in our tanks it very well could be different across the country/pond.

Bottom line, you will be fine. Your tank is so well filtered biologically you could kill off 1/2 your bacteria and still do a full stocking without worry. So just get the ammonia again when you can and your cycle shouldn't skip a beat.

I have been out of an ammonia for about 5 days. Will the bacteria still be alive?

Everyone needs to do some more research on this topic.

First, experience-wise, my qt stays fully cycled to 5ppm and I only add ammonia maybe once a week. In additon, I have helped people who have had tanks sit full of water but no ammonia source from anywhere from 1 to 3 months. All of these tanks 'recycled' within a few days to 2wks max.

Second, nitrifying bacteria does not go 'dormant'- its either alive or dead, thats it. To kill them, you can dry them, freeze them or boil them, but starvation actually takes quite a long time happen. Heres some links with the science behind starvation of nitrifying bacteria. Its been proven scientifically that they can survive from weeks to a year without a food source (ammonia).

Transcription of All amoC Copies Is Associated with Recovery of Nitrosomonas europaea from Ammonia Starvation
Influence of Starvation on Potential Ammonia-Oxidizing Activity and amoA mRNA Levels of Nitrosospira briensis
Cell density-regulated recovery of starved biofilm populations of ammonia-oxidizing bacteria.
Effect of long-term ammonia starvation on the oxid... [J Biochem. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI
http://www.aseanenvironment.info/Abstract/41016439.pdf
Effect of Long-Term Ammonia Starvation on the Oxidation of Ammonia and Hydroxylamine by Nitrosomonas europaea

Everyone needs to do some more research on this topic.

First, experience-wise, my qt stays fully cycled to 5ppm and I only add ammonia maybe once a week. In additon, I have helped people who have had tanks sit full of water but no ammonia source from anywhere from 1 to 3 months. All of these tanks 'recycled' within a few days to 2wks max.

Second, nitrifying bacteria does not go 'dormant'- its either alive or dead, thats it. To kill them, you can dry them, freeze them or boil them, but starvation actually takes quite a long time happen. Heres some links with the science behind starvation of nitrifying bacteria. Its been proven scientifically that they can survive from weeks to a year without a food source (ammonia).

Transcription of All amoC Copies Is Associated with Recovery of Nitrosomonas europaea from Ammonia Starvation
Influence of Starvation on Potential Ammonia-Oxidizing Activity and amoA mRNA Levels of Nitrosospira briensis
Cell density-regulated recovery of starved biofilm populations of ammonia-oxidizing bacteria.
Effect of long-term ammonia starvation on the oxid... [J Biochem. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI
http://www.aseanenvironment.info/Abstract/41016439.pdf
Effect of Long-Term Ammonia Starvation on the Oxidation of Ammonia and Hydroxylamine by Nitrosomonas europaea

All very true, but to the average aquarist the difference between "dormant" and "stationary phase" is a matter of semantics.

I don't even add ammonia to vacant tanks, just throw in a pinch of food a coupla times a week. It decays and keeps the bacteria colony goin'.

WYite

I'm guessing this means that bacteria can survive for a decent amount of time.

eduguy said:
I'm guessing this means that bacteria can survive for a decent amount of time.

It can but you can add some fish food to keep your tank happy if you want until you have more ammonia to finish your cycle. :)

Back
Top Bottom