How long would ammonia go down ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got a new tank with canniester filer , and added half of a sponge from a well established tank into the canister aswell as some decorations , gravel and the other half into the tank ?

So the good bacteria is present ...

After adding pure ammonia , how long would you expect it to start dropping ?

I used a calculator and added what should be 3ppm , after a hour it was 1ppm can it drop that quick ?

Did nitrites lift? It does sound quick - depends on sponge size I guess. Did you get a reading of 3ppm ammonia or was that calculated?

Got a new tank with canniester filer , and added half of a sponge from a well established tank into the canister aswell as some decorations , gravel and the other half into the tank ?

So the good bacteria is present ...

After adding pure ammonia , how long would you expect it to start dropping ?

I used a calculator and added what should be 3ppm , after a hour it was 1ppm can it drop that quick ?

Your ammonia is not 'pure'. In Australia anyway, the highest concentration you can buy ammonia retail is 25℅. The rest of the solution is water. What you think may be 3ppm added is closer to 1ppm if you didn't take account of the correct ℅ concentration into the calc.

If you think you got it correct, you can check by just waiting another hour. The remaining 1ppm ammonia in your tank should be gone.

Yea the ammonia is 25% which I used in the calculator , how long after adding the ammonia should you wait until testing to see what the level is ?

You should wait at least an hour to allow the water to circulate before testing. This will circulate the water through any dead spots you might have.

How are your nitrites? It seems highly unlikely that the filter would already process that much ammonia.

Conversion is [FONT=&quot]1 [FONT=&quot]ppm[/FONT] ammonia --> 2.7 [FONT=&quot]ppm[/FONT] nitrite --> 3.6 [FONT=&quot]ppm[/FONT] nitrate. [/FONT]

Nitrites are at 0 will wait for it to drop and re add and wait a hour to measure

Back
Top Bottom