How Many!!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edvinne

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey.. I've got 3 mollies ( a dalmatian and 2 normal white mollies their 1-1.5 inches) and a small algae eater in a 25 gallon tank.. I want to get more mollies but don't know how many.. I've got a filter that filters 1100 l per hour.. just for extra info.. ☺
Thanks

Last edited:
At a guess I'd say 5 to a dozen. You could always start off low numbers and then keep a few of the babies as they come along to stock up.

What is the footprint of your tank?
Mollies get fairly decent sized. If you already have mixed genders, I probably wouldn't get many more for your tank and just wait for some mollie fry to come along. If your tank is decently long rather than just tall, then maybe get a total of like 5 (2 more in addition to the 3 you have) but I don't personally suggest getting more than that. In more cramped conditions, mollies tend to fail to thrive and die off in a matter of months IME.
Google Chinese algae eater and common pleco to see if you have one of those. They are both fish that are commonly sold under generic names like "algae eater" and "sucker fish."

If you have a Chinese Algae eater, ditch it. It is a scam. It doesn't come from China and will eat the mucus coating of other fish along with the algae in your tank. I recommend Siamese algae eaters. The downside is that if you feed it to much it will fill up with food and refuse algae. So prepare for it to be just a scavenger. So in that case, otocinclus catfish are better. But the downside (another one) is that they aren't hardy at all. in my experience only 30%-50% of them survive.

Good luck with the tank!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom