How many bubbles are enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PESCATORI

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings:

I recently received a Fish Tank a 30 gallon model. I purchased the Fluval Canister Filter Model 205 and this afternoon I completed putting it all together and running it. What I am concerned about is the presence of air in the output within the tank. I expected that I would encounter some air bubbles during the purging of the system but, the pump has been running for several hours and every so often a small amount of air bubbles is expelled from the output hose into the water. I'm beginning to wonder if there is some small leak in the intake system allowing air to be sucked into the pump system. If you have any suggestions, recommendations or tips... I would be most interested in reading them.

Ciao,

Don
:cool:

If the system isn't tight, you will see water leaks, not air.

It takes awhile for a canister to expel all the air in the system.

The intake will only suck air if its too close to an airstone or other air bubble making mechanism in the water.

Are you going to do a fishless cycle?

Greetings:

Thanks for the replies. Yes I plan to cycle without fish for a few days... I have some wood and large rock to arrange in the tank as well as purchasing some flora to plant. I did lightly bump around the canister to relieve any trapped air, it did release more air. I checked the system early this morning and the air had dissipated. TNX AGN for your comments.

Don
:cool:

Read up on fishless cycling here on AA. You need some pure ammonia and it takes more than a few days, but it establishes the beneficial bacteria you need to keep your aquarium healthy.

Back
Top Bottom