How many discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahsteels83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So in a couple of months when I know my tank has properly cycled an iv got it decorated etc I'm looking into getting some discus in thinking 5 maybe 6? Iv a 180 litre Juwel vision tank, with a aqua manta 200 efx external filter, would you recommend this amount of discus? Starting off two at a time?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think most discus keepers are going to tell you that you need at least a 48" (122cm) tank for them. and 55 gallons (208 L)

Oh dear....the guy at the local aquarium place said I could fit 5/6 in with a shoal of neons in too..

I have got a 220 litre tank but it's full, could I swap them over safely?

So in a couple of months when I know my tank has properly cycled an iv got it decorated etc I'm looking into getting some discus in thinking 5 maybe 6? Iv a 180 litre Juwel vision tank, with a aqua manta 200 efx external filter, would you recommend this amount of discus? Starting off two at a time?

For starters I would recommend doing a ton more research before you start thinking about Discus. They're not difficult to keep but do best with an advanced aquarist. Two at a time is a horrible way to start unless they're a proven pair. Here's a link to the best info (IMO) you could get.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?48-Discus-Basics-for-Beginners

I think most discus keepers are going to tell you that you need at least a 48" (122cm) tank for them. and 55 gallons (208 L)

+1 for adults (unless starting with juvies and that's a whole different game)

Oh dear....the guy at the local aquarium place said I could fit 5/6 in with a shoal of neons in too..

Your guy is not isn't totally wrong but more like 99%. Neons are also a horrible choice for Discus. (See above link)

I have got a 220 litre tank but it's full, could I swap them over safely?

I wouldn't advise this quite honestly. Discus should always be first in a tank or go into a clean tank if you're not going to QT them. (See above link)

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I have been doing lots of reading on the net but to be honest one site says one thing an another says another...I'd rather ask for advice, what I ment was about the swapping is could I take the fish out of the 220 litre tank into the 180 an then have the 220 for the discus, I'm not fussed about tanks mates for them maybe just a pleco or two, iv read a lot about it but it's hard to go by when there's so much different advice about,

I have been doing lots of reading on the net but to be honest one site says one thing an another says another...I'd rather ask for advice, what I ment was about the swapping is could I take the fish out of the 220 litre tank into the 180 an then have the 220 for the discus, I'm not fussed about tanks mates for them maybe just a pleco or two, iv read a lot about it but it's hard to go by when there's so much different advice about,

IMO I wouldn't put a pleco with discus unless it's a really small pleco.

Reasoning: pleco's are very messy and poop a lot. The bigger they are, the more they poop. Discus not only prefer, but NEED pristine water conditions.

Suggestion: clown pleco if you really want one. They only get tops 4 inches, pretty design on them and don't make a big mess.

This is just IMO I'm sure people have pulled it off.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Thanks, like I said I'm not too fussed on tank mates an want to make sure that I get it right, last thing I want is any deaths, it will be my 4th tank, most thing iv read is to keep them in a bare bottom tank is there anything a could put on the bottom? Iv seen a lot on sand but surely this will harbor dirt?

Thanks, like I said I'm not too fussed on tank mates an want to make sure that I get it right, last thing I want is any deaths, it will be my 4th tank, most thing iv read is to keep them in a bare bottom tank is there anything a could put on the bottom? Iv seen a lot on sand but surely this will harbor dirt?

Because of the water conditions many do have Bare bottom because there is nothing to hold the waste.and many others use sand.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Follow the link to the site above. It's really the only one you need as its a dedicated Discus only (for the most part) site. Trust me, I spent too long trying to do it other ways. I now have Discus that I can hold in my hands.

Bare bottom will be your best bet for now. Cardinals will be your best tank mates. Plecos are an option but as mentioned they get big and are poop factories. On the site I mentioned, you will see what types others keep. Rams could be another option, prefer the same pristine waters, but also do best in a mature tank.

As for swapping the fish between tanks, yes if the fish are matched for that tank size. Put the new filter for the Discus on the existing tank and let run for 3 weeks. Transfer the old filter, half the water, and all fish to the smaller tank. Fill both tanks with fresh (treated) water. It would be like a 50% WC. Add Discus to larger tank.

Because of the water conditions many do have Bare bottom because there is nothing to hold the waste.and many others use sand.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

It's not because of water conditions. It's ease of maintenance.

It's not because of water conditions. It's ease of maintenance.

That's also true. Substrates can trap wastes that's why I mentioned it.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Thank you that's fab advice, I will stick to that website too and book mark it, it's a long road but il get there an I'm patient enough to wait,

Back
Top Bottom