How Many Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musicfreak

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just recently got a new fish tank that I would comfortably say is 40 gallons. It really could be anywhere from 35 to 50 but no larger then that. We got the tank from my mother in law who got it from her mother in law so that is why I'm not sure on the size of it.

Anyways I was wondering how many fish I can keep in there. I have 6 fish as of right now in my other tank that I will be transferring when the time is right.

I have:
1 Pleco who is about 2 inches big
1 Gourami who is about 2 inches big
1 Guppy that is about an 1 big
2 cheap fish from the store, I think they are some kind of gold/coy each are about an inch long no longer that 2 fish( My 3 year old wanted them)
1 Other that is about an inch long. He was in in the Guppy tank when we got him.

I have always heard so many different things about how many to have in a tank and now I'm just confused after hearing so many. The last I heard it was 2 inches for every gallon of water.

Any help would be much appreciated!! :thanks:

A great place to see what you want and if it will work is AqAdvisor.com

It will tell you if you have enough filtration for your amount of fish and if they can all coexist together.

That's great I will have to check that out when I have some more time thank you!! Also what are opinions on plants I think having a live plant would be really cool. Our neighbor who are also good friends of ours have plastic ones in their tank and it just looks really tacky.

I'd really like to get a live plant but I have never had one before and not sure on what to get and caring for it.

I just recently got a new fish tank that I would comfortably say is 40 gallons. It really could be anywhere from 35 to 50 but no larger then that. We got the tank from my mother in law who got it from her mother in law so that is why I'm not sure on the size of it.

Anyways I was wondering how many fish I can keep in there. I have 6 fish as of right now in my other tank that I will be transferring when the time is right.

I have:
1 Pleco who is about 2 inches big
1 Gourami who is about 2 inches big
1 Guppy that is about an 1 big
2 cheap fish from the store, I think they are some kind of gold/coy each are about an inch long no longer that 2 fish( My 3 year old wanted them)
1 Other that is about an inch long. He was in in the Guppy tank when we got him.

I have always heard so many different things about how many to have in a tank and now I'm just confused after hearing so many. The last I heard it was 2 inches for every gallon of water.

Any help would be much appreciated!! :thanks:

The amount of fish per tank really depends on a lot of things. The inch per gallon rule doesn't work. It's very old and out dated and there are so many things that should factor in. Like your fishes adult size, temperament, activity level and bioload. Not all fish are the same and have different needs.

First thing you need to know what types of fish you have as well as the actually size of your tank. If you can get the measurements for how long, tall and wide your tank it you can easily figure out how many gallons it is.

The big thing that pops for me is that you don't sound like you have compatible fish.

If you have gold fish or koi they are not going to work with the others. They are cold water fish first of all, not tropical like the others and also need large tanks. Koi actually shouldn't be in tanks and should be in a pond. They get to be about a meter in size. Goldies need at least 20 gallons for 1 fish and 10 gallons for each extra depending on which type of goldie, sometimes a single needs 30 gallons. They get to be about 8 inches to over a foot. Goldies are best in species only tanks as there are few other fish that you can buy readily for cold water that a goldie won't end up eating.

Do you know what type of pleco you have? I worry it's a common and if that is the case your tank will not be big enough. They grow to be over a foot long, can even reach 16 or more inches in some cases. There are smaller plecos that top out at about 4-6 inches but sadly most often people get commons.

Also do you know what type of gourami. There are lots of different types, sizes and temperaments too.

If you don't know at all than perhaps you can post pictures. Members are really helpful with IDing a fish usually.

Next knowing what type of filtration you have is helpful and then we can go from there to give you suggestions. I know it can be really frustrating to here but it sounds like you are probably going to have to rehome some fish.

What size are they all currently in as well. The more details the better, makes it a lot easier to offer advice.

tamtam said:
The amount of fish per tank really depends on a lot of things. The inch per gallon rule doesn't work. It's very old and out dated and there are so many things that should factor in. Like your fishes adult size, temperament, activity level and bioload. Not all fish are the same and have different needs.

First thing you need to know what types of fish you have as well as the actually size of your tank. If you can get the measurements for how long, tall and wide your tank it you can easily figure out how many gallons it is.

The big thing that pops for me is that you don't sound like you have compatible fish.

If you have gold fish or koi they are not going to work with the others. They are cold water fish first of all, not tropical like the others and also need large tanks. Koi actually shouldn't be in tanks and should be in a pond. They get to be about a meter in size. Goldies need at least 20 gallons for 1 fish and 10 gallons for each extra depending on which type of goldie, sometimes a single needs 30 gallons. They get to be about 8 inches to over a foot. Goldies are best in species only tanks as there are few other fish that you can buy readily for cold water that a goldie won't end up eating.

Do you know what type of pleco you have? I worry it's a common and if that is the case your tank will not be big enough. They grow to be over a foot long, can even reach 16 or more inches in some cases. There are smaller plecos that top out at about 4-6 inches but sadly most often people get commons.

Also do you know what type of gourami. There are lots of different types, sizes and temperaments too.

If you don't know at all than perhaps you can post pictures. Members are really helpful with IDing a fish usually.

Next knowing what type of filtration you have is helpful and then we can go from there to give you suggestions. I know it can be really frustrating to here but it sounds like you are probably going to have to rehome some fish.

What size are they all currently in as well. The more details the better, makes it a lot easier to offer advice.

I know that it's not a koi fish, it was something for 27 cents. I was not sure what it was and before I knew it my husband let my son get it. I do not believe that it's a common one, because I had asked about their adult size. I will have to look it up again and be sure. The gourami is a golden one if I remember right. He is yellow and has some orange to him as well.

I have the marineland penguin 200 filtration system. Says it does up to 50 gallons, I don't have the box in front of me so I don't know much more than that at the moment.

I have thought about measuring the tank the only issue is it's not just a rectangle. It has 6 sides if I remember right, I am not home at the moment so this is just from memory. I have no issues with rehoming at the moment, I know people who have a huge tank and would be willing to take a fish or two if I need them too.

I know that it's not a koi fish, it was something for 27 cents. I was not sure what it was and before I knew it my husband let my son get it. I do not believe that it's a common one, because I had asked about their adult size. I will have to look it up again and be sure. The gourami is a golden one if I remember right. He is yellow and has some orange to him as well.

I have the marineland penguin 200 filtration system. Says it does up to 50 gallons, I don't have the box in front of me so I don't know much more than that at the moment.

I have thought about measuring the tank the only issue is it's not just a rectangle. It has 6 sides if I remember right, I am not home at the moment so this is just from memory. I have no issues with rehoming at the moment, I know people who have a huge tank and would be willing to take a fish or two if I need them too.

If you can post some pics later we could probably help you ID the fish to be sure. The gourami could be a gold but if he has orange on him it may be a sunset, which is a color variation of the honey. I actually have one and he's a great addition to my community. Again a pic and we could tell you for sure.

A penguin 200 is from 30-50 gallons. If you keep your take light to moderately stocked it should do(tank size depending of course). I'm actually running to 150s on my 20 gallon.

There are calculators that will give you the gallons of odd shape tanks as well so it's still an option. Sounds like you have a hex tank though. Hex tanks can be a little challenging in some aspects as they usually seem to be taller than they are wide and this can in cases limit what fish you can put in as most fish do better with horizontal swim space than up and down. Either way though when you get some solid numbers on the tank size and or pix of your fish I'm sure members can help point you in the right direction. :)

If you don't have a camera and can't get a pic you could google some fish types and see if any look like what you have. liveaquaria.com is an online store that has some good fish profiles/pictures that may help you as a starting point.

I know for sure now that I have:

1 Platy (not sure on that spelling)
2 Comet gold fish, if I have to rehome these I won't be dissapointed my 3 year old wanted them, his father let him do it while I was looking at something else)
1 Gold gourami
1 Guppy
1 Pleco, not sure on what species of pleco exactly.

At this moment I am not going to run out and get more fish. I want the new tank to get settled first of course. Just looking at my options on if I can get more. I was also thinking about maybe a live plant or two but that's just a thought at the moment.

Musicfreak said:
I know for sure now that I have:

1 Platy (not sure on that spelling)
2 Comet gold fish, if I have to rehome these I won't be dissapointed my 3 year old wanted them, his father let him do it while I was looking at something else)
1 Gold gourami
1 Guppy
1 Pleco, not sure on what species of pleco exactly.

At this moment I am not going to run out and get more fish. I want the new tank to get settled first of course. Just looking at my options on if I can get more. I was also thinking about maybe a live plant or two but that's just a thought at the moment.

If I were you I would rehome : comets, pleco and the gourami.

If I were you I would rehome : comets, pleco and the gourami.

Really that many? I thought I would have to rehome the comets. I would have never of thought that. I know I have a place to rehome them too if i need to. I would have thought I had enough room for at least the gourami and the pleco but of course I am no expert.

Musicfreak said:
Really that many? I thought I would have to rehome the comets. I would have never of thought that. I know I have a place to rehome them too if i need to. I would have thought I had enough room for at least the gourami and the pleco but of course I am no expert.

You gotta find out what kinda pleco and the size of your tanj for sure. If you post a pic wen you have a chance and we can try to help id it.

Back
Top Bottom