How many fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenniferFraz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon aquarium with 2 Corys and a lyretail molly and a black molly. How many more fish about molly sized of slightly smaller can I put in my tank

Hello there! :)
First of all, what kind of filter do you have? Depending on how much it can handle, you may or may not be able to get more fish.
How have the levels of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates been? Has the tank been properly cycled? If it hasn't, I'd recommend waiting until it is before getting more fish.
If everything is in order and you're going to add any more fish, I would recommend getting more corys, they get lonely and do best in groups of at least five. They can get stressed if they aren't in a group of that size.
Also- do you know what kind of corys you have?

Green corys. All my levels are fine and my tank is cycled. I have future plans to get 1-3 more corys. I was just wondering how many more fish I could add in the future

I see. Green corys are pretty darn cute!
Do you know what brand filter you have and what it's rated for? That will help determine the best stocking level for your tank.

Okay... I wouldn't recommend adding any more mollies or similar fish. Mollies have a large bioload. Maybe adding two more corys would be the best course of action, but your filtration might be a little bit inadequate.

Cories like groups of 5-6, only having 2 is a poor idea. However with a low quality top fin 20 filter you can't add any more mollies. Even with good filtration like an aquaclear 50 I wouldn't add more mollies, too much bioload.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you're looking for movement guppies provide motion without much bioload, but bottom line the cories would appreciate 3 more buds of the same type. Past that you don't honestly have room for much more.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom