How many fish should I start out with???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumFreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well now that I have the plants in and the tank has been running for a while I need to add some fish.

The question is how many should I put in at first? And how long should I wait to add more?

Also I was thinking of putting in 10 X-Ray Tetras but I am open for some ideas... Want a schooling fish

Let me know what ya think,

Jeff

When I started my planted tank that was uncycled I added 2 pearl gouramis and the tank has since cycled and everything seems all good, so you may want to start with a few at first, then when it cycles slowly add more. And just keep a close eye on the water properties and do water changes when neccessary, hope that helps.

Sounds like you're a little new to this all. Have you read up about the nitrogen cycle and how to cycle a tank? A lot of people don't want to risk losing their fish or causing damage to their gills from the toxic ammonia, so they'll do a fishless cycle with ammonia. Your plants may suck it all up too quick though, so your cycle might take longer than expected, unless you've got some bacterial colonies on some filter media or other decorations or substrates you can put in the tank.

I used the Eco-Complete which is suppose to help cycle the tank...

I have read on some sites that I can start out with as many as 10 to 15 fish (avg. 1" to 1 3/4")

I want to add fish just not sure how many I should start off with

I used the Eco-Complete which is suppose to help cycle the tank...

I have read on some sites that I can start out with as many as 10 to 15 fish (avg. 1" to 1 3/4")

I want to add fish just not sure how many I should start off with

Well I have called a couple LFS and they have told me anywhere from 1 fish per 10 gal to 1 fish per 5 gal....

I AM SO CONFUSED :?

Guys, a planted tank is an entirely different ball game, you don't wait to cycle.

http://rexgrigg.com/aa.htm

Scroll down, you'll see this section:

"Cycling the planted tank, more information.."

Excerpt:

"Then it was discovered that by setting up a tank and filling it full of fast growing stem plants that one could add a medium to large fish load all at once and never see the traditional ammonia or nitrite spikes. The reason for this is simple. The plants love ammonia. So it never gets a chance to kill the fish. Also the plants come covered in beneficial bacteria that will start the traditional cycle. One advantage of this is that you are going to have a lot of stem plant trimmings to trade at the local fish store or send to your friends.

It is suggested that one use two bunches (4-6 stems each) of plants for each five gallons of water. Plants to use include Foxtail, Hygro (any color), Creeping Charlie, Red Ludwigia, Moneywort, Wisteria, Egeria, Shinnersia rivularis, (Mexican Oakleaf) or Water Sprite. Then after a couple of months one can start removing the stem plants and adding the other plants that you want. "

Please go read his pages, Rex knows his stuff...

Back
Top Bottom