how many guppies and platies in a 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sophiecandycane

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have 3 platies right now, how many more platies and guppies can I put in? (maximum) plus if they breed ill just let nature take its course (let them eat the fry) or give them away:fish1::thanks:

I would say do one or the other personally, unless you add all male guppies. as for breeding, I would just let nature take its course, miscellaneous livebearer fry aren't really worth raising for profit

I would and have endlers, very similar to guppies, in a 10g. I started with 4 and have probably 40+. I would do guppies since they're smaller and less bioload. They are in a heavily planted tank with two filters and weekly 50-75% water changes

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Be aware that the male to female ratio should be 1 to 4 for guppies. I think it is the same with platies. To be honest just buy a breeder box instead of letting the guppy fry die! It is so easy! Just get the pregnant female guppy, put it in the breeder box and then remove her when the babies are born. If you have a double compartment breeder box, you can just leave the female in their if you don't have the time. Later on, when the fry are big enough take them out and put them with the adult guppies. You don't need to worry too much about the bio load that much because, the guppies barely produce any ammonia. When I was five or so I had ten bowls full of them! About ten in each and they survived fine! But I still don't recommend this.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've been breeding guppies in a colony setting for years, I can honestly tell you even if you don't try to save the fry, some will survive and you will quickly be overstocked with just a ten. I would stick to all males if you want guppies, and keep an eye on the platies too.

If you don't want to have fry, but you want females and males, maybe throw in a female betta or dwarf gourami to take out some of the babies.

i have 3 platies right now, how many more platies and guppies can I put in? (maximum) plus if they breed ill just let nature take its course (let them eat the fry) or give them away:fish1::thanks:

Are they male or female ? How many of each ?

You could add 1 to 2 male Guppies if your tank is stable and well maintained.

Try adding some plants so your fish have some visual barriers, to give them a rest from each other.

Livebearers are fun fish, but the males can be relentless esp in a small tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom