How many Molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MollyMel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I started a tank with 5 balloon Molly a few weeks ago. A couple of them were pregnant and I now have 8 fry. If they all survive, how many would be ok to keep in my 30 gal tank?

Hi there!

It’s a tall tank as opposed to wide, I don’t have the exact dimensions

Does that help?
Not really. There are so many custom sized tanks now that dimensions are the only way to really know what you are dealing with and we can properly advise. Some people call a 29 gallon a 30 high. It's not one. There are companies that have a 30 high that is only 24L x 12W x 24 H which truthfully, a 29 gal would be better because it's 30" long.
See why the importance of knowing the dimensions. ;) :flowers:

Hello,

It’s 24 wide, 24 high and 12 deep

I wouldn't keep more than 3 of the smaller species of mollies in that sized tank or 2 sailfin types. The key would be to get all males to ensure you would not have a population explosion. Molly fish are more interested in the space than the gallons and 24" is not much space for swimming around in. :(
Hope this helps. (y)

Sorry, so 3 of the fry in addition to my 5?

No, 3 total. Fry need space to grow and your tank doesn't really supply much space if the parents are also in there. :nono: Time for a new tank. ;) Fish do better in length and width more than in gallonage and height so you want to keep that in mind if you want your fish to have babies you want to keep. Many tank shapes available today are not really conducive for good husbandry. They look nice but functionally, not so much. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom