How many swordtails in a 20g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keedee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to breed swordtails and just got a 20 gallon tank cycled. How many could I put in there without being overstocked? So far there is just a single red-cherry shrimp in there.
Thanks!

No body answered this, id say 12? idk whats ur filtration and water change scheduled? And plants?

Sword tails, especially males, get pretty large. They can push 4" and sometimes even go over that. Being livebearers, they are also extremely messy. Mine are also really active.

I would say keep a trip (one male, two females) in there, maybe three females and one male.

Swordtails

I want to breed swordtails and just got a 20 gallon tank cycled. How many could I put in there without being overstocked? So far there is just a single red-cherry shrimp in there.
Thanks!

Hello Kee...

A 20 gallon tank is too small for Swordtails. Adults are roughly 4 inches. They need lots of swimming area and a lot of floating plants. Males will be come aggressive in cramped spaces. If you're going to have success breeding this livebearer, I'd suggest a tank around 40 gallons and large, weekly water changes.

B

Okay, thanks. I guess I'll have to look into getting a bigger tank!

Back
Top Bottom