How many/what kind of tetra in 20gH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking for a mid-level swimming schooling fish.

Must be compatible with juvenile Endlers and preferrably with babies.

Not sure if such compatibility rules out all fish except nanos like lampeyes and ember tetras?

For whatever species is suggested, how many should be purchased to not crowd an aquarium with several Endler fry?

Tank has natural colored substrate.

Thanks!

How Many Tetras?

Hello gaby...

Don't want to burst your bubble, but you shouldn't keep very many fish in a 20 G.

If you prefer Tetras, then get a dozen or so and keep them by themselves in your small tank until they grow a little. Give them a few months to grow and in the meantime, brainstorm setting up a larger tank. A 55 G would be nice and would give your Tetras and the rest of your community choices plenty of room.

If you put small Tetras in with even somewhat larger fish, you may have problems with the larger fish trying to make a meal of the Tetras.

I've had small tanks and always struggled keeping them clean, because I wanted a lot of plants and fish. I went to larger tanks several years ago and they're so much easier to maintain.

Just an opinion from an "old school" waterkeeper.

B

Hello gaby...

Don't want to burst your bubble, but you shouldn't keep very many fish in a 20 G.

If you prefer Tetras, then get a dozen or so and keep them by themselves in your small tank until they grow a little. Give them a few months to grow and in the meantime, brainstorm setting up a larger tank. A 55 G would be nice and would give your Tetras and the rest of your community choices plenty of room.

If you put small Tetras in with even somewhat larger fish, you may have problems with the larger fish trying to make a meal of the Tetras.

I've had small tanks and always struggled keeping them clean, because I wanted a lot of plants and fish. I went to larger tanks several years ago and they're so much easier to maintain.

Just an opinion from an "old school" waterkeeper.

B

You always have the best advice :)

I totally understand! I also don't think there is much that a 20g can support either. Right now I use it as a grow-out tank for Endlers, but they stay mostly at the top of the tank and I think the tank looks awkward with so much empty space in the middle!

I would LOVE to have a 55g tank. But there just isn't space for it in my small college apartment :( I'm doing the best I can with 1 aquarium stand holding up a 20g and 2 10g, a 5g on a coffee table, and a 29g on my dresser! I actually tried to find space for another tank but I honestly don't have any more sturdy surface space!!!
I'm counting down the days to when I'm out of school, with a job, with a pleasant apartment, and I will have at least a 55g tank.... :angel:

Back
Top Bottom