How much dechlorinator to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gingimaru

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all.

I did a lil search but couldnt really find much aside from this one sentance

"add enough conditioner for the entire tank before you start adding new water."

so when i am doing a water change (be that 20% or 100%) i will need to add enough (in my case) tapsafe for the entire tank (35ltr/9.3US gallons) not just enough tapsafe for the 20% of water that i am removing?

thanks everyone

Well it depends how you change the water.
If you are using a hose or python you dose enough for the entire tank before you start filling the tank.
If using buckets you can dose each bucket to dechlorinate it before you add it to the tank.
Either way works.

it varies. for the bigger changes it will be buckets but for smaller it will be using the gravel vac to help clean gravel and get rid of water at the same time.

so either way always add enough for the entire tanks worth rather than just the (for example) 5ltrs i am taking out?

Adding Water Conditioner

Hi all.

I did a lil search but couldnt really find much aside from this one sentance

"add enough conditioner for the entire tank before you start adding new water."

so when i am doing a water change (be that 20% or 100%) i will need to add enough (in my case) tapsafe for the entire tank (35ltr/9.3US gallons) not just enough tapsafe for the 20% of water that i am removing?

thanks everyone

Hello Gin...

Your water conditioner should have pretty clear dosing instructions on the bottle or container. I use SeaChem's Prime and only need to use a little more than a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of tap water.

For such a small tank, you need to be removing and replacing half the tank water every week, to keep conditions stable. So, if you use Prime, then a bit more than a teaspoon is enough. If you use a little more, that's not going to do any harm.

B

conditions in my tank are ok at the moment. ammonia is at 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm and nitrate (after about a 50-60% water change) is at around 15-20ppm and PH is around 7.4-7.6 (it reads highest on the normal PH test and doesnt register on the high level PH test) so conditions are pretty stable.

the bottle does give me instructions however i was a little unsure as to wether i dose for the full tank or just the water i remove as it doesnt state that on the bottle. from the sounds of it though i need to be dosing it will the full tank amount irrespective of how much water i take out.

What MummaOfTwo meant was...
Do you use a hose (or Python type thing) attached to your tap to fill the tank? Or do you fill containers (buckets or such) and dump in water from the buckets?

Tap to hose to tank: dose the tank, according to the bottles instructions, for the full volume of the tank. 30 gallon tank, dose for full 30 gallons regardless of amount of water replacing.

Fill from buckets: dose the bucket. If its a one gallon milk jug you dose the jug for one gallon.

Hope that helps.

I use Prime and I've always only used enough dechlorinator for the water than I'm changing, usually a 50% water change. From what I've seen in various forums, it's split down the middle between fishkeepers who do it like I do and ones that dose for the entire tank volume.

ah ok that clears it up a lil. so it doesnt really matter but generally should only really dose for the water you are replacing.

thank you everyone for helping :)

Back
Top Bottom