How much filtration/ Plant Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tyler3533

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all. I've been cycling my 29 gallon fish tank for about 5 weeks now. I'll be doing my final big water change before I can get started. Should I add plants then to make it easier to stick them down. Also my planned stock will be:

7 neon tetra
2-3 Bolivian rams
1 bristle nose pelco
-plan on adding another school of fish later on

Would this be an alright stock? Also how much gph should I have. I have 200 right now

I hope you had a filter running during your cycle. And what type of filter is it? What type of substrate are you using? and what did you add to the tank to get the cycle goin? You cant cycle a tank with out having a source of ammonia! and I have never heard of doing water changes during the cycle. Thats just killing the beneficial bacteria

sam24 said:
I hope you had a filter running during your cycle. And what type of filter is it? What type of substrate are you using? and what did you add to the tank to get the cycle goin? You cant cycle a tank with out having a source of ammonia! and I have never heard of doing water changes during the cycle. Thats just killing the beneficial bacteria

I've used a aqua clear 50 for my filter. And I've been addin the right kind of ammonia during the cycle. I have gravel substrate. And the bacteria is in the filter. Doing what hanged won't affect the cycle

sam24 said:
Alright your GPH is fine. And are you doing live or fake plants?

I'm doing all live plants. Low light plants

sam24 said:
Alright well yeah put em in the gravel now. Its not gonna hurt anything. will you be dosing?

Dosing with what? I'll be adding some ferts. Think I'm gonna check things tomorrow and lower temp. Then drain the water Wednsday and add the plants. Then fish Thursday.

sam24 said:
okay haha thought you meant drain the tank completely

Oh haha no. But do you think I should get another small filter. Or sponge filter to stick in the tank? I think I may buy a sponge filter that has a bubbler attached. Only $10

Back
Top Bottom