How much food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mixer

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 36G bowfront, currently have 1 ghost shrimp, 2 dalmation mollies, and 2 mickey mouse platys.

Currently I give 2 small pinches of flake food in the morning along with 1 shrimp sinker pellet (for the shrimp) and repeat in the evening.

The fish seem hungry when I feed and they immediately start eating, all flake food is gone within about 5 minutes and they start eating the sinker pellet, and it is gone within another few minutes.

Sometimes I will put 2 sinker pellets in trying to get one close to the shrimp so he can get some of it while the fish are distracted with the floating flake.

Is this too much, too little, just right? What, if any, are the guidelines for feeding?

Here are a few pics just to share.

set-72157626083556136

set-72157626083556136

set-72157626083556136

that should be fine for 4 fish, and for the shrimp i dont have any experience with them but i dont think they need shrimp pellets every day, even if the fish eat most of it. are you planning on adding more fish to the tank by the way?

Oh yes I will be adding more, but I didn't know about cycling so I am doing the cycle with fish. See my other thread about ammonia in my tap water.

Your probably overfeeding if anything if it is taking 5 mins for them to eat it. All food put into the tank should be consumed within 2 - 3 mins and each fish taking on to much food in a short amount of time could inevitably bloat out and die. I am not criticising by the way, I learned about over feeding the hard way and had terrible water clarity and lost some fish to. Fish will normally always seem hungry, mine ( mix of barbs tetra and cichlids) even swim to the glass when they see me get there food out. Remember it's always better to under feed then over feed.

Agree, if you are feeding twice a day try to provide 3 minutes of feeding, be sure that every fish eats some, and you should be fine.
I feed mines once a day, for about 3 to 4 minutes, and they eat dastardly.

Mixer said:
I have a 36G bowfront, currently have 1 ghost shrimp, 2 dalmation mollies, and 2 mickey mouse platys.

Currently I give 2 small pinches of flake food in the morning along with 1 shrimp sinker pellet (for the shrimp) and repeat in the evening.

The fish seem hungry when I feed and they immediately start eating, all flake food is gone within about 5 minutes and they start eating the sinker pellet, and it is gone within another few minutes.

Sometimes I will put 2 sinker pellets in trying to get one close to the shrimp so he can get some of it while the fish are distracted with the floating flake.

Is this too much, too little, just right? What, if any, are the guidelines for feeding?

Here are a few pics just to share.

Fish will act like they are starving even when stuffed lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom