How often do I change my filter cartridge in a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dora'sfishtank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 10gal tank is now fully cycled (YAY) and I have 2 bloodfin tetras and 3 guppies in there. How often should I change the filter cartridge? The LFS people said to change it monthly, but I hesitated b/c I wanted to make sure the cycling was stable. It's been over a month, I'm at zero for ammonia, nitrate and -trite, etc. So about how often should i change the cartridge (it's a whisper filter)? Thank you. Pics coming soon.

the sponge filter? once it breaks down. ever couple weeks you want to wash it out in old tank water to clean it.

+1 I leave my filters in until there is nothing left. Make sure you wash them good with dechlored water, dont be afraid to squeeze the crap out of it (no pun ijntended).

+1.

Not until it breaks apart. Just rinse in tank water and re-install. Replacing monthly just causes you added expense and your fish stress.

umm....unless it is a Carbon cartridge....

I think carbon needs to be totally changed (or better still, don't use it at all, unless you need to)

Normal sponge type media only needs rinsed in tank water...no chlorine

umm....unless it is a Carbon cartridge....

I think carbon needs to be totally changed (or better still, don't use it at all, unless you need to)

Normal sponge type media only needs rinsed in tank water...no chlorine

Carbon becomes biomedia after 3-4 weeks. Unless you are intentionally removing something from the water (pollutants, meds, etc.) there is no reason to run carbon. Another major profit center for the LFS. ;)

Ive got my sponges in and havent changed them for almost a year now, i think ill have to change one of them soon, but the others are going strong.

some people claim that though..... i believe the temps have to be 1000-2000 degrees to get the carob to release what it took in.

Back
Top Bottom