How often do you change your filter cartridges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitling

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read a lot of mixed opinions about this subject, so I'm hoping for some clear advice.

I have Tetra Whisper filters for 10g and 20g tanks. The packaging always says to replace it every month, which I believe is way too often. I've seen people on the forums say they change it anywhere between 1 month to 1 year.

I haven't changed my filter in about 10 months now, and my water quality is still good and the water is clear. I rinse it weekly (swishing it in water). However, the cartridge does look really dirty and it's completely brown. The carbon inside is probably useless at this point too (although I've heard the carbon can wear out after only 3 days). There is also a little bit of algae growth on it.

Also, since there is a load of beneficial bacteria on the used filter, how do I safely change to a fresh one? My tank has been stable for quite some time and I'm afraid changing the filter will cause a drastic change.

Small Tetra Whisper Cartridges

Hello Kit...

If you're changing a lot of tank water and changing it often, you don't really need to change out the small, plastic filter cartridge. It's just filtering water that's already clean. The carbon is useless if you're a good and faithful water changer. The water change goes a lot further toward a pure and stable water chemistry than chemical filtration.

B

Hello Brad and Loachy.

It's just filtering water that's already clean.

Hmm but if the filter is brown and dirty, isn't it making the water dirtier as it passes through? Or do the bacteria take care of that? And I do 20% water changes weekly. :)

Brown and dirty is the beneficial bacteria. Swish the filter pads in discarded tank water every few months to remove any large waste and replace them when they are falling apart. Remove the carbon and use that valuable space for more bio media. Do slightly larger water changes. I would recommend 50% a week even if the tank is low bio load. Fresh clean water is always a huge benefit, and promotes great health.

Removing Meds

Ok, well i wouldnt call it useless. Activates charcoal is the best way to remove chemical meds from the water.

Hello loach...

The water change will do that and more. Actually, if you change out a lot of water and often enough, you won't have to medicate the fish in the first place. The water change will remove anything toxic before there's a buildup to foul the water and stress the fish. Medications are the last resort. You don't know how the fish, plants and good bacteria will react. My guess is, the reaction would be negative.

B

Tank Filtration

Hello Brad and Loachy.

Hmm but if the filter is brown and dirty, isn't it making the water dirtier as it passes through? Or do the bacteria take care of that? And I do 20% water changes weekly. :)

Hello again Kit...

With only a 20 percent water change weekly, you leave 80 percent of the toxins in the water. The color in the filter is small floating organic material and beneficial bacteria. The key to a healthy tank is low nitrogen levels. By changing half the water, you more than double the pure water in the tank. You add some floating plants like Horwort that remove some of the remaining nitrogen for food and the rest is diluted to a very safe level in all the new water. The result is, no ammonia, no nitrite and a lower nitrate level. A near perfect environment for the fish.

Change a lot of tank water and change it often and the fish and plants will take care of themselves.

B

Ok, 20% was a safe estimate, sometimes I end up changing more (last week it was 50%). I'm just afraid of changing too much at once and abruptly changing the water chemistry. But I will change more weekly now. :) I have a planted tank, and the plants really are wonderful.

I agree. I have zero amonia currently.
I was just saying that it is better to use char then a 100 percent water change to get 100 percent chemical out. Char will get it all , 20 percent water change might get 20 percent meds or it might get none.

Back
Top Bottom