How often should I change my filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcran4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am running an aqueon quiet flow 30 in my 20 gal tank...I was wondering how often i should change out the filter or atleast carbon?

I don't change the carbon filter until its literally falling apart, if the flow is slowed due to clogging just swish it in some tank water. A good amount of BB is stored in the filter media.

I am running an aqueon quiet flow 30 in my 20 gal tank...I was wondering how often i should change out the filter or atleast carbon?

Replace the filter pad when it's falling apart, otherwise just rinse the pads with tank water during PWC's.

Not unless it's literally falling apart. Just swish it around in old tank water during water changes. For the carbon, most of us only use it if we're removing meds but after it runs its course it just becomes an area where bacteria can grow so you don't have to change it out unless you're removing meds or you can replace it with some other media (another pad or sponge or whatever).

Monthly or when flow slows. And u don't have to use carbon.

I respectfully disagree.

You should only rinse your filter media in used tank water when you do your water changes. If you choose to use carbon, it should be changed monthly (many fishkeepers don't use carbon except to remove meds).

my 2 cents in...

this is a multiple viewpoint question because there are to many factors on how dirty your filter is depending on your fish load, feeding habits, blah blah blah and so forth.....

rule of thumb that i used is every 6 weeks I used to replace my filter pad in the aqueon filter, and just let my old pad sit in the reservoir of the filter for about 2 days to eliminate the shock factor.

honestly though if you are doing h2o changes and upkeep maintance I think 4-7 weeks will do, and if you are not overfeeding and stuff you might be able to pull out the 8 weeks they claim.:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom