How often should i change the filter pads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbay

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi.
Can anyone advise me how often to a) rinse and b) renew the various pads in my filter? I have a 50l Juwel tank with a built-in filter system, inside there are two thin white pads on top (about 5mm thick) then a couple of thicker stiffer black ones (each a couple of centimetres thick) then a blue one at the bottom.

At the moment I take the white ones out every week during the pwc and rinse them in the old water, I also renew them about every 3-4 weeks. The black ones have been in for about 8 months, I take one of them out about every 4 weeks and give it a squeeze in the old pwc water, but loads of black granules come out that look like they're supposed to be part of the filter (i.e. they don't look like bits of goldfish poo or decomposing food!).

The tank has one goldfish and 4 little minnows, I tested the water this morning and it's ammonia 0 nitrite 0.

Thanks!:blink:

Just keep rinsing them in your tank water. Don't throw them out til they are falling apart. As far as the black one, I'm not totally sure what it would be other than maybe a carbon filter, but all the ones I've had are little bags. I'm not sure how you recharge carbon, but it doesn't really do much so if that is what it is don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom