How often should i do a water change while cycling a tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I depends if you have fish in the tank..if so, I would test the water and when either Ammonia is above .25, NitrItes are above .25, or NitrAtes are around 40, I would do a 50% water change...with no fish, no need unless you want levels to be readable.

Water Changes

its about two weeks old

Hello d...

Aspencer is essentially right. When I cycled with fish, I tested for ammonia and nitrites every day. When the test showed even a trace of either of these in the water, I changed only 25 to 30 percent of the tank water. This will be enough to get the water properties back into the "safe zone".

The reason is, even a trace of ammonia or nitrites is enough to damage the sensitive gill tissues and hurt the fish.

B

Make sure you get a good test kit. Most here, including myself, recommend the API Mster Freshwater kit. It's a good liquid kit and is very easy to use. The test strips have a tendency to be inaccurate and this can cause problems, I found out the hard way and I lost a couple of fish when I did my fish-in cycle.

khartig said:
Make sure you get a good test kit. Most here, including myself, recommend the API Mster Freshwater kit. It's a good liquid kit and is very easy to use. The test strips have a tendency to be inaccurate and this can cause problems, I found out the hard way and I lost a couple of fish when I did my fish-in cycle.

I have that one and I use it often

Back
Top Bottom