Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Gunk
How should i clean my gravel...I want to start and make sure no diseases in tank

Well a couple weeks ago I started a new 29g tank and every fish I've put in there has died. I posted about it earlier. So now I have no fish left and the tank wasn't cycled I want to break everything down and start over. This time I'm going to do a fishless cycle with an ammonia that was recommend with no perfumes or chellating(?) agents. A couple of the fish I had developed white cottony looking spots on them so I want to make sure i kill anything bad before I put new water in. So how can I clean the gravel to make sure anything that might be bad in there doesn't affect the new water. Someone (not from here) suggested boiling the rocks but boiling 40 pounds of gravel sounds like a very time consuming process. Any ideas? What about rinsing out the tank?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just vac and start with clean water.

The cottony spots were most likely a fungus that will not be present with clean fresh water.

Boiling or replacing the substrate really isn't neccissary.

I give you a lot of credit for starting over fishless and doing it right.

Tags
clean, disease, diseases, gravel, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com