How to correctly use gravel syphon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Campepsi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I got my first tank 2 weeks ago and I found out today about the amazing gravel siphon. The thing is, maybe my gravel is too big, but there were tons of things floating around after I was done siphoning the gravel. I feel like it just stirred up the trash more than it actually siphoned it out. Is there a technique or is the massive gravel that I got with the tank stopping the siphon from working properly? and what can I do about the stuff floating around in the aquarium now?
Also since its only a 5 gallon, its hard for me to siphon the gravel for long without emptying the whole tank so I really dont have much time to use the siphon before the tank gets half empty and just full of, lets use the right word here, crap floating around.

Sounds like you may be going to deep in the gravel, being to aggressive when you vac and your vac is to big.

To avoid going too deep and taking out too much water, just drag the siphon over the gravel. Or the siphon head might be too big. Get a smaller input and you won't take out too much water.

So I got my first tank 2 weeks ago and I found out today about the amazing gravel siphon. The thing is, maybe my gravel is too big, but there were tons of things floating around after I was done siphoning the gravel. I feel like it just stirred up the trash more than it actually siphoned it out. Is there a technique or is the massive gravel that I got with the tank stopping the siphon from working properly? and what can I do about the stuff floating around in the aquarium now?
Also since its only a 5 gallon, its hard for me to siphon the gravel for long without emptying the whole tank so I really dont have much time to use the siphon before the tank gets half empty and just full of, lets use the right word here, crap floating around.
Hello, you can control flow of vac by crimping hose. You could also shut down filter to keep debris from blowing around tank when vacuuming. Just don't forget to turn back on. Once you have established a maintenance schedule it won't be as bad. Hope this helps!20190224_183846.jpg

To avoid going too deep and taking out too much water, just drag the siphon over the gravel. Or the siphon head might be too big. Get a smaller input and you won't take out too much water.

So the flow of water is strong enough to bring the bad stuf out even if I dont shove the siphon in the gravel? sorry for my derp questions, but there wasnt much instruction on the packaging from the siphon.

Hello again, when tank is cycled then everything in tank has good bacteria on or in it(gravel included).

When maintaining tank you want to avoid taking out to much of the good bacteria because it will mess w/cycle(may cause amonia spikes or cycle crash). I do water changes on my tanks 2×wk. So when I do 1st I deep clean 1/2 gravel & surface clean rest. Then on 2nd i deep clean other side & surface clean rest. You don't want to clean everything at once you want break it up.

Back
Top Bottom