How to cycle New 180 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

efeeley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do I need to put in new 180 gal tank to cycle it? 60lbs of shrimp or 5 ft tuna?How long do you think before it cycles? What is the best substrate for 180 ,Im interested in breeding oscars and in the far future would like to try rays?

efeeley said:
What do I need to put in new 180 gal tank to cycle it? 60lbs of shrimp or 5 ft tuna?
going fishless cycle? 60 lbs of shrimp is way too much imo. can probably go with 1 lb.
efeeley said:
What is the best substrate for 180 ,Im interested in breeding oscars and in the far future would like to try rays?

small gravel for oscars or pool filter sand. rays would need sand as they can get injured with anything larger.

efeeley said:
What do I need to put in new 180 gal tank to cycle it? 60lbs of shrimp or 5 ft tuna?How long do you think before it cycles? What is the best substrate for 180 ,Im interested in breeding oscars and in the far future would like to try rays?

You're going with the fishless cycle I assume? I'd just use straight ammonia then.

As for substrate, none at all would be fine if you're going to breed oscars (they'll rearrange everything anyway) and for rays you'll need sand. Don't put the oscars with the rays though.

I would go with pure ammonia as well. Dose to 5ppm and you are off and running. I have cycled many a tank within 2-3 weeks during a fishless cycle as opposed to several weeks doing a fish cycle. If you are able to get some seeded media from an established tank you can shorten the time frame. IMO pure ammonia is faster than shrimp as you don't have to wait for the shrimp to rot.

Is that ammonia you buy from the grocery store?(great idea)How much approx would I need/I will dose for 5ppm but approx how much should I buy?
Choite-yes I want to go fishless/I was kidding about 60 lbs-I just dont know how much to use because of the large volume of water, 180 gallons
Hulkamaniac and Zagz that is a great idea about the ammonia.but it makes sense.
Thanks for the response guys.No I was not going to mix oscars and rays.

I got mine from walmart. Make sure it is pure and has no soap additives. Try 2 capfuls and test in a couple of hours after dosing to see what the ammonia level is. I got a half gal for $2.00

Wow! I was ready to put 2 cups of ammonia in when a friend stopped by.He yelled you crazy .I miss read 2 caps full of ammonia.Well he convinced me to put one cap first the ammonia test kit was off the scale!Today Im at .2pp m.Wondering if I should put more ammonia or wait till it comes down?

Put more in and wait several hours before testing. One capful in 180 gallons should not send the number that high.

Aim for 5 ppm. Remember to test at least 2 hours after dosing, testing immediately after will skew the actual results.

Back
Top Bottom