How to seed new tank with filter from old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akrin1984

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Like title says, how can I cycle my new 75G tank with media from my 29G tank? Will it be an instant cycle? Can I swap out fish right away?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you're moving everything from the 29g into the new 75g then I would just run the filter along with the new filter on the 75g. Give it a few months and you can safely remove the old filter. Just be sure to give it at least a week before buying any new fish for the tank and to keep an eye on ammonia for the first week or so.

If you're moving everything from the 29g into the new 75g then I would just run the filter along with the new filter on the 75g. Give it a few months and you can safely remove the old filter. Just be sure to give it at least a week before buying any new fish for the tank and to keep an eye on ammonia for the first week or so.

Won't the bb need a food source if there no inhabitants for a week?
The op could dose ammonia during the first week while testing daily to get an idea of how bio-filter is processing the ammo...

sit in silence...

Won't the bb need a food source if there no inhabitants for a week?
The op could dose ammonia during the first week while testing daily to get an idea of how bio-filter is processing the ammo...

sit in silence...
Not buying new fish for the week would mean not adding more fish then there already are. If you already have 10 guppies on that filter, then adding another 10 would increase the chance of an ammonia spike.l because a lot of bb is lost on a tank switch

Bb can live for up to a month without an ammonia source in any case.

Like title says, how can I cycle my new 75G tank with media from my 29G tank? Will it be an instant cycle? Can I swap out fish right away?

Hello. What direction are you headed with this tank? Choose the hardiest peaceful fish and let's put him in first so he can establish territory. I would personally do this method if I was doing it at home. I would get the tank all set up with water in it dechlorinated and I would place as much of the old media from establish tank as I could sacrifice without jeopardizing the cycle there. Of course we would replace ceramic rings with new ones if we took ceramic rings out. Providing surface area for bacteria to grow is important to consider. I would also put a majority of the new media in the new filter. As long as the media goes directly from the aerobic state of the other filter into the aerobic state of new filter with correct temperature the tank will have achieved an instant nitrogen cycle capable of moving fish waste as ammonia through the stages of nitrite and nitrate. In addition this established media will quickly seed the new media in time for the second most hardiest peaceful (or least aggressive?) is ready to put in. It is nicely by 2-3 weeks out your colony will be nicely established and you can consider you first school or larger bio-load fish. Remember consider the order you put fish in. Stay on point with now adding in 3rd least aggressive so his territory is claimed when you put in the jerks..

Do not put ammonia in your tank. That would potentially kill the cycled media by providing too much work for it and means you need to wait again... I'd only wait 1-2 days before buying the fish, but I would also feel comfortable putting in a fish right away. But for all sake and purposes I would wait a day for mechanical to do it's thing..

Not buying new fish for the week would mean not adding more fish then there already are. If you already have 10 guppies on that filter, then adding another 10 would increase the chance of an ammonia spike.l because a lot of bb is lost on a tank switch

Bb can live for up to a month without an ammonia source in any case.

My bad,I missed where there were gonna be a small population of fauna...

sit in silence...

This is an upgrade so the fish would be moving over as well.

Back
Top Bottom