How to start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrinne

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am ready to change out my plastic plants in my 10 gal and my 5 gal tanks to real plants. I am running 40 watts (15 watt & 25 watt bulbs) in my 10 gal, and a 25 watter in my 5 gal. So I will need plants that like lots of light, I suppose.

What else other than the plants do I need to do/get? How will I change my fish only tank to a planted fish tank? Will I need to get other kinds of filters than my HOB filters? Will I need to mix in a new substrate other than my gravel?

What types of plants should I get? I have 2 tetras, 3 giant danios, and a golden AE in my 10 gal. I have a male betta (and getting an invertebrae of some kind I think) for my 5 gal. My temps stay between 78-80 in the betta tank, and 76-78 in the 10 gal.

With both of these tanks now cycled and stable, I'm very ready to begin my journey into planted tanks. I do very well with plants in general...so hopefully, I will be ok with aquarium plants too. hehe

TIA

~Heather

Start by reading my FAQ.

Your current setups will be fine. No need to change anything at this time. You can grow most any plants you want but I will tell you that most stem plants are going to grow much too fast for either tank.

Back
Top Bottom