How would you set up a 36gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yuchen375

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

My gift to myself for this thanksgiving is this 36 gallon tank :). I would like to heard from you guys how would you set the tank up. Not including fish but just landscape wise (substrate, plants, rocks, or wood). I think I still want to stick with fresh water. If you guys have any idea for salt water, please feel free to comment as well!

Thank you so much!

Vals are pretty, and I adore the character of mopani driftwood. There's also clover fern which is quite delicate looking and lovely. I've always been a fan of dwarf red lily. Seems pretty easy, I've gotten four plants off my one bulb and there's two more growing in. If you get one of these, make sure to get one that's already sprouted.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If this is your first tank you should definitely stick with freshwater.

Have you ever seen tanks with a piece of driftwood covered in moss to replicate a small tree? They look really cool because with a bright light, you can have the 'tree', 'grass' (a small carpeting plant), and rocks and sand to make it look like a pathway going through a park or something.

Just bought this same tank from petsmart. Am new here too and wondering what would be a couple of colorful fish to put in when the time comes.

Just bought this same tank from petsmart. Am new here too and wondering what would be a couple of colorful fish to put in when the time comes.

Your best bet is to make your own thread about it, you'll get a lot more responses that way. I've got some ideas for you but I don't want to hijack this thread!

Hello everyone,

My gift to myself for this thanksgiving is this 36 gallon tank :). I would like to heard from you guys how would you set the tank up. Not including fish but just landscape wise (substrate, plants, rocks, or wood). I think I still want to stick with fresh water. If you guys have any idea for salt water, please feel free to comment as well!

Thank you so much!

Congratulations on your new tank here is a good article that will give you step by step directions to get your tank started (y)

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I would suggest you avoid salt water at-least till you learn the basics of fish keeping , fresh water is the best starting point as it's not as expensive to start up , it will give you a good understanding of water chemistry and cycling , start slow enjoy every minute as you learn you will be glad you did and so will the fish
salt water costs a lot more to start up and maintain , it takes a deep pocket just to get started , once you get the basics of keeping fish you can always venture over to the salty side ,
don't be afraid to ask questions as you go so you can be sure your doing things correctly

The two of you took my tanks :eek:, The 3 i went to were out of those. Worked out though, ended up getting this one

MARINELAND® 60 Gallon Heartland Aquarium Ensemble | Aquariums | PetSmart

had to re-do my entire bedroom to fit it though :eek:.

I started my own thread about stocking ideas as well.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/stocking-a-60-gallon-343585.html#post3311691

Used this website to check stocking levels as well as filtration. Just put in the fish and it tells you the rest.
AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Back
Top Bottom