howdy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uglygoat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my daughter received a 2.5 gallon tank for xmas...

0015905179218_215X215.jpg

the good intentioned gift was stocked already with two feeder goldfish and two african dwarf frogs... i don't know what kind of prep was done with the tank. i suspect the inhabitants were dumped in there a few days before the gift was given.

since the 25th, both fish have gone on to the great toilet bowl, and one poor frog has been sucked into the filter, which was originaly set on the highest level.

not really sure where to go from here... i don't know how long the other froggie will last, and i am certian the tank is nowhere near where it should be in terms of water chemistry. i dont want to add any other living creatures untill i can reset the tank and get it cycled properly, but i have the issue of the remaining frog.

my thoughts on this tank is that it is pretty poor, even for a starter setup, and that i should leave froggie in there and get a ten gallon glass tank and get it cycled and ready to house some other fish and frogs later on down the road.

if froggie doesn't make it, is this gift tank set up worth doing right, or should i just move her on to a better suited tank?

You could always set it up with a couple low light plants (or medium if you put it near a window), and a male guppy or two. I wouldn't toss it, there's always possibilities.

Or, as mentioned somewhere before, you could make it an invert tank. Put some snails and/or shrimp in there.

Welcome to AA!!! A larger tank is easier to start with. The more water the easier it is to maintain good water quality. I am sure you are right the tank was never cycled. I have no experience with that tank but it is kind of small for most fish.

If you have the room I would suggest a 29 gallon tank. Most stores have deals on the them and it would give you a lot more options than a ten would.

Also you can normally pick up tanks on craigslist on the cheap. I just got a 33g and a 55g for 200 dollars including the stands.

I second Rich on the larger tank. They are much easier to start with and maintain. Would make your critters much happier.

Depends on what you're doing this for. Since the tank was for your daughter, are you going to buy her a larger tank?

I agree the larger tank is much better. I bought my daughter an Eclipse 12 a while back and let her keep it in her room, and we had very much success with that tank, and she was able to keep more and a larger selection of fish, compared to what you'll be able to do with the 2.5g.

Small tanks can always make a nice addition to a room. Although you can not keep large or many fish in there, there are possibilities. Sean Murphy mentioned a great possibility. I would throw some hardy plants in there, which will aid in biological filtration. As to what plants, you'll have to ask someone else, as I am not an expert in that dept. There are a couple small fish that are a good possibility for the tank. Neons, white clouds, guppies....2-3 of these fish should be fine. What do you mean by "got sucked up in the filter"? Is there a grate on the end of the intake tube? If not, I would def get something to put on there so no more living things get sucked up. If you do not have some type of grate on the end of the intake tube and cannot find one that fits, get some sponge that is aquarium safe and stick it on the end of the tube. Also a ghost shrimp would be a nice addition. They help eat leftover crap on the bottom and they're interesting to watch. (Cheap too!) HTH :)

What about a beta and a shrimp?? That's what fish my daughter started on, and they seem to get attached to their owners!! Great personalities!! Rich311k is definately right on the target with larger tanks being easier, lot's more possibilities with a largr tank!! Welcome!!

Wonder if its a dwarf frog or a clawed frog. Clawed frogs get hugh, softball sized. Hopefully its a dwarf. I'd put something over the filter intake and get either a guppy or snail as a froggie friend and keep the tank setup. Its a cute tank even though you can't do much with it and they certainly do brighten up a room. Tiny tanks are pretty easy maintenence after they cycle. Just take a turkey baster to suck up the gravel and change the water.

thanks for the replys...

i hate to scrap this little tank, cause it's there, but i have access to other ten gallon tanks from my brother's lizard/frog/snake keeping. if i get on of those tanks, it will be for my daughter.

honestly, i have no desire to get another huge aquarium project started (i haven't had a tank set up in well over 15 years) but she is really excited about having fish around, and it's a good hobby/learning experience for her.

any advice on plants? i saw bamboo in tanks at the store, looked pretty neat..

i am a big fan of the guppies and plecos so will prolly add a guppy or two for her.

but...

should i let this tank cycle now as is? there's plenty of fish feces and extra food lying around, or should i start fresh/empty it???

also i think the filter is pretty much crap, and needs replaced. it is a tetra whisper ten, that sits in the water... there is a grate over it, but the froggies are so small, their limbs will fit in there.. the poor guy had his leg caught in it, and drowned. i don't know if he was sick, tangling with the gold fish(i watched them compete for space and food) or just in the wrong place at the wrong time. the other frog seems fine for the moment.

I don't know much about frogs...but assuming they'd be similar to fish for cycling...sounds like you've already got a "fishy" ("froggie?") cycle going. I'd keep up with water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites low and not change the filter until after it's cycled (even then I'd run both for a bit before getting rid of the frog eating one until the new one gets colonized). As for plants, "bamboo's" not a true aquatic, so doesn't grow well underwater and may rot. Java fern, moss and anubias species can do ok in low light.

I wouldn't empty the tank, because you already have the frog in there. I would vaccum most of the fish crap out of there, because that'll keep your ammonia levels up, even after the tank is cycled. The frog will produce waste, which will serve as an ammonia source. If you're getting a reptile tank to use for fish, make sure it can hold water. I was at a pet store the other day and I saw a sign posted by the reptile tanks that said "These tanks will not hold water safely" I guess they're designed differently? So check into that.

when you mention the turkey baster to clean the rocks... is it as simple/straightforward as i think it is??? aim the baster at the crud, suck it up, spit it into a bucket outside the tank... then refill with water?

edit:

i like the live plants and tossed a few in, the filter on high setting really clears the water fast, but sucks the poor little frogs legs into it, he swam away, but had a hard time. they like to float in this weird position, almost spread eagle and hunt for floaties. i turned the filter down. now i don't know if the filter killed the fishies, or the tank wasn't cycled. uncle said he had the tank running three weeks before he gave it as a gift... maybe the move in the car roughed the goldies up.

i'm also contemplating a spotted catfish for the tank. just one, or do they need a buddy... and another frog when they come in.

thanks for the replys and the great forum! very mature crowd and very well informed. :D

I would also point out that tanks designed for reptiles are typically not capable of the pressures put on aquariums. I would highly recommend not filling up a tank that was bought with the intent of housing reptiles. IF it did not immediately fail, I think it would pretty soon down the line. THAT is a mess.

IMO and IME, I think the goldfish died because they're goldfish...in a 2.5 gal tank. My very first aquarium was a 10 gal and I kept 2 goldfish in there. One would die, and I would replace it. Then the other one would die. And I would replace it. I went through 17 goldfish in 2 months. I had one guy in there and I was sure he was going to die. I continued to take care of the tank and he lived! He had been in there by himself for 2 months and he was doing great. So I bought him a buddy. Guess what...They died. I found out that goldfish need at least 10 gal each, because they excrete twice the amount of waste as other fish (if not more). The ammonia quickly builds up in a goldfish tank and the water gets polluted very fast.
As for the catfish.... Most cats get big. Check on the adult size of the cat. If you can find out the common name (as I am not familiar with scientific names) I may be able to give you some info on the species you're looking into. The only spotted cats I can think of off the top of my head are the raphael talking catfish, or the pictus. Both of these would not be siutable for the tank. Pictus are streamlined swimmers, swim very fast, and need lots of room to be happy (at least a 29 gal). They also get to about 5-6 inches. The raphael will not be nearly as active, but it gets too large for that size tank. I saw one in a LFS that was about 10 inches! I don't think they're supposed to get that big (only 4-6 inches). But this one was huge!

it's the raphael...

i'll be investing in a larger tank sooner than i thought... curse my brother and his xmas gifts!!! he did this to me with brewing my own beer a few years ago... a simple starter kit evolved into a fullblown basement brewery, now i rarely buy commercially produced beer.

i already got the itch for fishies and am pricing tanks and equipment above twenty gallons for a few months down the road!!!

A good way to go is with starter kits. Most include almost everything you need. I got a 29 gal starter kit for less that $100. The only additional purchases I needed were an air pump, hose and airstone (which will run you about $20). Of course you also need substrate and decor. Compared to what it cost piece by piece, I saved alot of money. They also have 55 gal starter kits. I have one of those also. I paid around $130 for mine on sale.

the starter kits are what i'm eying, now it's the toss up between the twenty and the twenty nine... the difference is twenty dollars.

i do however, really like the look of the long shallow tank. i'm only looking to put some plants in and rocks and have some catfish kicking around. maybe the frogs, but really i'm not too interested in them. i like the bottom feeders, and the variety of south american cats are cool imo.

That might make a really nice home for a hermit crab too. They dont ask for much, some dry sand ,a few pretty shells, dish of water, dish of food. And the small tank would be really neat. Plus they are making great hermit crab goodies these days.
As for the Goldies... those are the most prone to disease, terrible digestive tracks, dirty. Why there is this Myth that they are great beginners fish I wont ever understand.

Back
Top Bottom