Human sickness related to aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nemo6292

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new to this aquarium and I guess you might think I "overthink" things or worry about things I shouldn't. But does anyone know how easy it is for humans to become infected with a disease or bacteria from have an aquarium at home. With all the talk of growing your bacteria it really had me thinking... Has anyone on here ever contracted an illness from their fish tank??

Nemo6292 said:
I'm new to this aquarium and I guess you might think I "overthink" things or worry about things I shouldn't. But does anyone know how easy it is for humans to become infected with a disease or bacteria from have an aquarium at home. With all the talk of growing your bacteria it really had me thinking... Has anyone on here ever contracted an illness from their fish tank??

I think TB is transmittable, but I think in general with healthy fish and good habits on your part (handwashing), it doesn't happen very often. I think that just like with any pet, things can be transmitted between you and your pet. And don't forget your pet can catch things from you too ;)

There are scary stories out there for sure...

I know someone that got a little cut on her finger when moving some rock around she ended up with a nasty infection. She even washed it and disinfected it after she found out she had the cut. This was a saltwater tank. I also know a few other people that had bad reactions to certain polyps usually palys and zoa.

The bacteria that keeps your tank "cycled" shouldn't make you sick, but the animals can have diseases that it would be possible for you to catch. The last time I checked into buying a frog from PetSmart, you had to sign a legal form indicating that you understand frogs are known to carry salmonella.

I dont know if this was the cause but a few months ago I went to the doctor and she found a brown black fungus in my ear. My fish tank at the time had quite a bit of this growing in it. She didn't know but I think it was possible I got my hand or my finger wet with the water and scratched or rubbed my ear. I've had my fair share of ear issues but never anything like that till I started keeping fish! Flewk (sp?) or not just to be safe i dont touch anything without washing my hands in hot water and soap immediately after I clean my tank

When you grow gills I'd worry.... I've been a EMT for many many years and have many friends that are medics and doctors. You can get an infection from anything you cut yourself on if it's not clean. Meaning
Mostly anything and everything. Your body is always fighting bacterial infections. Sometimes you feel it, sometimes you don't. Fish, dogs, cats, birds, people they all carry there share.

Just use care when handling your equipment whether it be fish tank or yard work. :)

Back
Top Bottom