I am new here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Misspriss1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! Not sure where to post this question…if I am in the wrong forum please let me know. In about 5 months I am going to set up a 20 gallon tank….would love to start with a bigger tank, but space is limited. I have been doing research on fish and this is what I have come up with for my tank
4 Cory catfish
8 neon tetras
1 clown pleco
6 cherry shrimp
3 nerlite snails
Is what I have chosen so far okay?
I would like to have another colorful schooling fish, or just a few more single fish. Any and all comments would be appreciated. Like I said it will be five months before I get my tank……I just want to pick my fish out before hand and make sure I don’t over crowd the tank. :thanks:

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about what you are getting up to.

Looks like a good start for your proposed stocking. There is certainly room for a few more fish. How about a dwarf gourami for a stand alone fish and a small number of celestial pearl danios for another group of colourful fish?

Are you new to the hobby? What do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Do you know how to cycle a tank?

20 gallon fresh water

It has been at least 12 years ago….I had two 75 Gallo saltwater setups with fish and corals I was patient and they both looked amazing. Due to space now I can get a 20 gallon for a freshwater tank. I had posted what kind of fish to add to a cycled tank and whic fish to add first thanks

Hi! Not sure where to post this question…if I am in the wrong forum please let me know. In about 5 months I am going to set up a 20 gallon tank….would love to start with a bigger tank, but space is limited. I have been doing research on fish and this is what I have come up with for my tank
4 Cory catfish
8 neon tetras
1 clown pleco
6 cherry shrimp
3 nerlite snails
Is what I have chosen so far okay?
I would like to have another colorful schooling fish, or just a few more single fish. Any and all comments would be appreciated. Like I said it will be five months before I get my tank……I just want to pick my fish out before hand and make sure I don’t over crowd the tank. :thanks:

What I did with my first list of fish to buy, and others, is put them in a Word or Excel grid or table, and give each of them a column for temp range, PH, all the may many things you need to know and plan for.

At some point you may notice that their temperature ranges all align (or do not), or that one particular fish has such a narrow range it will exclude a lot of choices. You will also spot the fish in your list that have the widest ranges in temps and other parameters. I found that a Tiger Blood Nerita Snail had by far the widest range of temps, probably best suited to get a long with anyone.

You can make a column to note where they like to swim (get some top, middle and bottom swimmers), and who they should avoid, And, how small they are when they arrive (they will be young) and how large they can become. You want to plan for growth, and not buy X no. of inches of fish for a specific tank and see X grow into 2X and realize you don't have enough water.

You can't know too much! You're off to a good start! Have fun!

Aqadvisor is a great tool for pointing out possible compatibility issues with different fish as well as just your basic stocking level guidance. A much better way to plan a tank as it will show you your stocking level based on full grown size so you don’t run into an unexpected overstock as they grow!

Back
Top Bottom