I am one-upping Neilanh...fishless cycle with no filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locorosa

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay...MTS is official now!!!
I went to get better lighting for my old 35 Hex and BAM! Came home with a 46 bowfront instead. Here is the catch though. I have all the equipment on the 35 hex. How do I cycle the 46 bow?
I can't pull the filter can I? I figured I could at least move the substrate and plants over...gotta do that at least to get the plants up and going.
I blew my money on the tank and lighting so there is no way I can buy a new filtetration setup. Plus there's the fish in the 35 Hex...
I was thinking perhaps I could do pwc's daily? I don't know.
Any advice?

p.s. I will be getting rid of the Hex after all this is over...lol. I am trying to find a classroom at the local school for young kids to perhaps learn the hobby.

hahaha - nice title.

Enjoy the 46bow, I love mine

Now,
If you move everything at once, you'd probably be okay.

I'd take out most of the water from the 35, then get the fish into a bucket or something that can sustain them for a bit with an airstone. Siphon the rest of the water except for an inch or two (enough to cover the substrate). Move all the substrate, etc over to the 46 (which I would have at least partially filled already with dechlor'd water and at proper temp), then get the filter on there and running. replace fish.

You might make a bit of a mess trying to hurry, but I bet you won't even see a mini cycle.

Yah...I am just a touch worried. I forgot to mention I changed my substrate 2 days ago AND I have two little Rams in the tank. They are a bit touchy with water perims.

Should I wait a week or so until the sand has a chance to get colonized? That is doable...*wheels beginning to turn in my head*

Neilans method sounds sound. One other option could be to put the fish in a bucket or even a 10 gallon tank (under $10.00) and run the filter in the bucket/tank. That will give you plenty of time to get the new tank up and running. When you are all done, you will have a good quarantine tank for later use.

It can't hurt to wait a week or two for your bacteria to regenerate.

That might not be a bad idea, but have you seen any spiking of your ammo or NO2? Chances are your filter has enough of a colony on it to sustain things.

You're basically just doing a large PWC, you're just changing the container in the middle of it.

So, what is to become of the 35hex now?

Well water perims are perfect so I think I will take the chance with it and be fully prepared for daily pwc's. We broke the glass top for the tank when we loaded so the cash-stash is REALLY low right now. Lol! I better sell some artwork...

I am hoping to find a school classroom that would like the tank or someone just getting started. The tank is sound but is pretty scratched up (Hubs used to get pretty rough with cleaning) so I wouldn't expect to get too much for it.
If I could talk him into this beautiful King Snake I saw it would be a habitat for that BUT...I think we are good with animals right now. Three boys, the cat, rotten dog, and two aquariums are plenty...plus, the adult animal a.k.a. Hubs ;)

Back
Top Bottom