I am the noobiest of them all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankinWithUs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well...I just realized that I cycled my 5.5g tank with a filter meant to handle 3 gallons. That's fine and all for my cycle, but once I add fish and a clean up crew, it's going to be tight.

*sigh*

Needless to say we're upgrading our filter to an Aquaclear 20 so that bioload will not be a problem and the fish will stay happy. Will it instant-cycle if we move all biomedia and filter material out of old filter to new filter? Or do I need to go through the whole shabang again?

I am such a noob!

Sure! Just stock slow (not that you can put much in there). I always cram my cycled cartridges/media into new filters without problems.

ok, cool. I'm not planning for much. I am looking at a few Endlers, a few shrimp and a Mystery snail and 25% changes weekly. It only just now dawned on me that my filter wouldn't be able to handle it

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree I move filters and media all the time when I start new tanks. I would up the water change to 50% .

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree I move filters and media all the time when I start new tanks. I would up the water change to 50% .

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree 50 pwc and make sure to watch your levels. Should be fine and using that used filter will certainly speed things along!

Scarlet Badis need heavily planted tanks and well established RCS colony. They may or may not accept ANY non live foods. Baby Shrimp are part of their diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Feeding them wouldn't be a problem; the heavy planted tank would be a problem. I'm not even sure what RCS means (noob, anyone?).

My little heart is set on the Endler's anyhow and I'm delighted to be getting them Florida raised from the local sweet pea DeeLee :)

My goal right now is the right conditions, and happy healthy fish. I'll dig into that more advanced stuff when I have conquered Step 1 :)

You guys have been great!! Thank you so much for the advice and tips.

Are you doing just male Endlers? I have 6 males-plus some red rili shrimp-in the 5g I'm working on for the spouse's work office (I breed them as well). They're fun to watch together, showing off for each other and their reflections!

I am looking at only males, yes! I don't know what to do with fry and I don't believe I have the setup for them either. One day!

Feeding them wouldn't be a problem; the heavy planted tank would be a problem. I'm not even sure what RCS means (noob, anyone?).

My little heart is set on the Endler's anyhow and I'm delighted to be getting them Florida raised from the local sweet pea DeeLee :)

My goal right now is the right conditions, and happy healthy fish. I'll dig into that more advanced stuff when I have conquered Step 1 :)

You guys have been great!! Thank you so much for the advice and tips.

When you are ready for plants, let us know. We can give you some easy suggestions.

This is an old pic of one of my 10g
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424387167.654860.jpg

Wow!!!

This is ours at the moment...obviously not that gorgeous but we hope to be, one day! My wisteria looks pitiful...is this hairy stuff, algae?

Attachments

• 1424387453239.jpg
    1424387453239.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 1424387533788.jpg
    1424387533788.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 56
This is my 2.5yo tank. He makes the decisions. I just try to keep his little dream alive

No worries. ? it's important that kids love their tanks.

I can tell about stuff on plants, i'm on my iPhone.

How long are you running the lights for?

I use a timer and run 6-8 hours daily. Cut back to 6 hours if you see Algae.

Back
Top Bottom