I just got a new tank but my ph is to high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gamerxx13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, I am a real beginner to fish tanks and I was wondering if you guys could help. First of all, I got a 20 gallon tank, with a water filter and heater. I put the gravel in, and some objects and its good to go. After i put the water in, i tested it a few days later to find that the Ph was really high somewhere between 7.8-8.4 and my alkalinity was really high. I was wondering what I can do to lower these things.
Second, I was wondering what fish do you recommend for a beginner, what are the easiest fish to deal with. Thanks so much!!!

Before we deal with fish, let's deal with the ph issue. Leave a glass of tap water out overnight and test it in the morning. This will tell you what your true ph is. After this is done, there are a number of natural ways to bring your ph down if necessary.

There are fish that can enjoy a high ph.

what is a fishless cycle? I used some buffer to make the ph 7 but it didnt seem to help. Although the hardness went down and the alkalinity went down to more stable levels, the ph still remains rather high.

A fishless cycle is when you use ammonia or fish food, seeded filter media or shrimp for example to start the cycle of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I'll get you some links.

gamerxx13 said:
Okay, I am a real beginner

As a real beginner I would highly advise you to ignore your pH altogether. Don't try to change it at all. Stop even testing it, IMO. Fish are pretty good at adapting to whatever your pH level is but they have a real problem with pH values that swing all over the place. I would advise you to never add any chemicals to your tank at all that will alter pH. Monkeying with your pH is the fastest way to kill your fish, IME. That's why I ignore my pH levels altogether. And this ignorance has worked for me for many years :lol:

Concentrate on cycling the tank and forget all about pH levels.

I know alot of books will talk about the ideal pH level for different fish but I am telling you I have always ignored my pH. 8O But it has worked for 10+ years.

Freshwater is the same. I wouldn't use shrimp because its messy and smells. I would use pure ammonia from the hardware store.

I agree with talloulou, ignore the pH unless it is off the charts. But since yours isn't, you're perfectly fine with whatever the reading is.

Yeah plus ammonia is cheap. I payed like $3 for what looks like a gallon of the stuff (smallest bottle they had) at Ace Hardware.

Just don't inhale ;-p

the only reason PH would matter is if you got your fish from a store that has diffent tap water and or is using RO water in there tanks. in this case if the diffence is extreem like more then .2 or so I would look into drip acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom