I just started a 60 gallon up with sand and the water is cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyates0801

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started a 60 gallon up with sand and the water is cloudy.... Did you ever have this issue?

Yeah that particular ob is my all time fave. And I personally don't mind others asking questions on my threads but I know some people frown upon it. To answer your question my water was cloudy even after rinsing the sand for prolly over 5 hours. I ran my filter and added seachem clarity and it cleared up within a few hours, Then put in a new filter cartridge. I just used play sand for my tank. Not sure if higher quality sand has the cloudiness issue to the same degree or not.

Funny thing about Seachem's CLARITY -- it's the ONE Seachem product I actually find not to work as the company claims...and I have used a lot of their products, from Stability to Prime to Purigen to PhosGuard...

I just didn't care for the results it claimed to provide of "clearing up" the water to pristine levels; to me, it just changed the color of my water to horrendous looking, murky hues before it brought the tank back to previous conditions the next day...

IMO, "water clarifiers" which "bunch up" debris so they could be sucked into the filter aren't substitutes for a large water change to get the water column cleared out...

Just my (normally worthless based on feedback) two cents...:hide:

Well I had time to wait for the water to clear as I was fishless cycling at the time. I had tried doing water changes, 6 total, 50% each over 3 days, and the water remained cloudy but within a few hours of adding the clarity my water was sparkling. But I suppose results may vary. :p

Back
Top Bottom