I know I know.. newbie with a cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cubsfan85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone. I have been reading the forums religiously and finally registered so I could join in the discussion. Here's my issue; I purchased a Marineland 10 gallon starter kit a few weeks ago. On the advice of a friend with a tank, I started the cycle with 3 guppies and used Prime as my water conditioner. I also dosed it every 24 hours to keep them safe from any ammonia spikes. Same friend gave me a handful of his ceramic filter rings to seed the tank.

Well, I thought I could just take my water to be tested at Petsmart to figure out where I was in the cycle. That went... well, I know you all know. They used strips, and didn't tell me any numbers which is what I needed to know. She just said not to add any more fish and it would take a month to cycle.

I decided at that point to bite the bullet and buy the API Master Test Kit you all talk about here. It had been 5 days since the addition of the fish. When I got home and tested I had trace ammonia and nitrite, and around 5 nitrate. By the next day I had 0,0,10.

Here's where the trouble started. I got antsy and added 3 more fish just a couple of days later. 2 platies and a molly. Well, it didn't occur to me at that moment that these 3 new fish were considerably bigger than the 3 guppies and would have a bigger affect on the water. Yeah, big d'oh there.

One platy seemed to be sick off the bat and we lost him within 3 days. I've been testing every day and the Ammonia and Nitrates were hanging around .25 and Nitrates 20. I didn't want to risk them getting any higher so I've been doing PWC each day.

Today when I tested, I had between .25, but the nitrites are gone. Still have Nitrates.

So um, basically, the point of my novel up there is what exactly is going on in my cycle? I expected to see the ammonia drop first, then nitrite...

ETA: All the fish seem to be thriving and doing very well, less the platy which I believed to be sick when we bought him. He never would eat once we brought him home.

Oops, still talking to myself here. One problem I think I may have figured out. When I'm doing the PWC I put the water in then put in the Prime, then start the filter back up. I use the fresh water to refill the filter so it starts pumping. D'oh again. The chlorine is probably killing my good bacteria.

From now on, only tank water to fill it, but should I be waiting after the Prime is added before turning the filter back on?

Welcome to AA!

How do exactly add the tap to the tank, from a bucket, hose? If you are using a bucket, then just add the prime in there (dose to the recommended dosage).

When you seeded the tank, your cycle went faster than normal, and finished quickly. The guppies kept the bacteria from the rings alive by feeding the ammonia they needed (waste).

Just make sure to keep the parameters down as low as possibly (for ammonia and nitrite, less than .25 and for nitrate, less than 20 and more than 5) by doing pwc's everyday.

Add the Prime to the new water before putting it in the tank, and yes only prime your filter with tank water. Fishless cycling would have been the way to go, but you are going to get enough lectures on that, I will leave it alone.

tyspot1000 said:
Welcome to AA!

How do exactly add the tap to the tank, from a bucket, hose? If you are using a bucket, then just add the prime in there (dose to the recommended dosage).

When you seeded the tank, your cycle went faster than normal, and finished quickly. The guppies kept the bacteria from the rings alive by feeding the ammonia they needed (waste).

Just make sure to keep the parameters down as low as possibly (for ammonia and nirtrite, less than .25 and for nitrate, less than 20 and more than 5) by doing pwc's everyday.

Where we have the tank, I'm able to fill it directly from the tap with the hose. I just make sure to match the temps as best I can.

You might want to start filling some buckets next time so you can mix the prime in, It seems much easier for me.

tyspot1000 said:
You might want to start filling some buckets next time so you can mix the prime in, It seems much easier for me.

What bout with the use of a python water changing system? I dose the tank for 30 gallons even though I only do s 50% WC.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Welcome to AA,

I too am new to the whole thin by after coming here I have found some great advice and great people.

I too have a 10G tank half dome that I love. When I do my PWC I have a dedicated pitcher that I use that hold 4L of water. Here is what I do.

1. I first turn off the power to the tank. This will prevent the heater from burning up if the water gets too low.

2. Take 2-3 pitchers (roughly 10L) of water out of the tank.

3. With the last pitcher I leave the water in and run the tap water to find the temperature that bet matches what I'm pulling out. It doesn't have to be perfect just close enough to touch.

4. Once I find the right temp from the tap, I dump the water out of the pitcher.

5. I then put 3 drops of prime into the empty pitcher and fill the pitcher with water.

6. Putting the prime in first helps mix it with the water. Not sure if it mattes but I feel it does.

7. I then dump the water slowly into the opposite side of the tank than he filter.

8. Repeat the process 2 more time or until you have replaced the water you have pulled out plus what you need to replace after evaporation.

9. I let the water cycle for about an hour and then test it with the API Master Tester.

10. At first I had to do PWC every day for a week but now that the tank had cycled everything is working out.

Here are a fee things that I've learned.

1. Never wash your filter with tap water. (Petsmart will tell you to change it monthly) but the chlorine will kill all the good bacteria. The filter should last a while and be falling apart before you replace it.

2. Make sure you have a gravel cleaner. I needed this when the Nitrites were REALY high. You rarely use it but it's nice to have b

3. Don't feed every day. Fish can go 5-6 days without being fed. We feed every other day just a pinch. Even though out fish are REALLY active and always act like they are starving, they will be fine.

4. Enjoy the tank. Once it's cycled and everything is in place, I just stare and watch them. It's great.

5. Keep informed. Come to AA just to look around and read.

This is a great place to come and learn. Enjoy

Just use your test kit as a guide and do water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites below .25ppm. You should be cleaning the substrate with a gravel vacuum at least once a week when you do your water change.

I use a python to do my water changes and I'll match the tank's temperature at the faucet, dose my prime for the ENTIRE volume of the tank, and then start filling.

If you were using buckets to refill the tank then you could just dose prime for the volume in the bucket. Seems like a lot of people get confused by this so I just wanted to make it clear.

Be patient and hold off on getting anymore fish until your tank establishes itself.

Definitely no more fish until everything is stable. I knew better before and got too impatient and ruined the good thing I had going with the initial very quick cycle!

I do think my main problem was the chlorine. Should I let the Prime water sit before I add it or turn on the filter, or does it work on contact?

I did use my gravel vac for the first time yesterday. I didn't want to get too crazy and disturb the good bacteria, but I got a fair amount of old food which I know will exacerbate the ammonia issue.

No need to let it sit... Either add it to the bucket of new water and dump it in the tank or dose the tank and fill it up with a python.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium Advice app

Agree on no more fish until it l levels out. Depending on the size of your Guppies and Molly's you may have enough already.

When it comes to Prime I just add three drops into the pitcher of water, add water and dump. If want to test Prime use your API on just you tap water. Then add the appropriate amount of Prime mix it and test it again. You should see a difference just in the time you mixed it.

I only plan on adding back one platy to replace the one we lost. I used Aqadvisor and it put me at 112% with my full stock. I've heard it's on the conservative side and I actually like doing PWC and cleaning, lol. So I figured I'd be ok.

Sent from my HTC Eris using Aquarium

Nice. I too enjoy taking care of my fish and tank. It would probably be different if I had a 50+G tank but for now I really enjoy my 10G

Oh no. My boyfriend just told me he went to check on the tank and one of our guppies is dead.

I've been doing PWC every day, the ammonia level has been .25 or lower this whole time.

I'm really hoping it was just a coincidence and not an illness in the tank, since we already lost a platy. I do believe that platy was sick when we got it, since it never would eat. This guppy was active and eating yesterday, and dead today. Also, none of the fish have any physical abnormalities.

ETA: I started a new thread regarding this so that hopefully more people will see it. I'm so worried now!

Back
Top Bottom