I know you say there's no dumb question, but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starquest

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an overstocked 16 G tank that awaiting funds for a 60G, but I have a question about the fake plants in it. They are getting pretty funky looking, and I'd really like to clean them, but I'm unsure how this would affect the BB balance. My stats are: pH 7.6, NH3 0, NO2 0, and NO3 40. I'm about to do a big PWC for the trates, and want to do something about these plants. Can I clean them, and do I clean them in the used water, and can I use anything (like vinegar) to loosen the debris on them? Any thoughts....

i agree with eco23 i just clean my plastic plants under tap water and scrub them and it has never affected the bb balance.

If they are really dirty, you could sprinkle them with baking soda or salt and then rub the leaves between your fingers. The baking soda (or salt) will then act as a mild abrasive and help to remove the crud. Just be sure to rinse them thoroughly before putting them back in the tank.

I would be willing to bet that putting them in the dishwasher would do the job, but I bet it would also shorten the lifespan of the plants by quite a bit. Some of my plants are more than 15 years old now, and at least two are over 20 years old...just cleaned with an old toothbrush and some salt now and then.

Back
Top Bottom