I need fish "choice" advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zero2dash

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
...for lack of better terms.

HEY long time no post for me eh? :oops:

Ok, here's the deal -
my male betta passed away this weekend. I thought he was just hiding but when I checked thoroughly for him last night, I found him in the back of the tank, sleeping...peacefully...for good. :sniff: :cry:

I have my previous tankmates left...two blue gouramis and one pleco. The pleco hasn't really gotten any bigger (surprisingly), and the bigger blue gourami still picks on the smaller one (not surprisingly).

In a week or two I'd like to go buy some fish...not an overload at once but at least a few more to try and get things back up and running.

I need advice on what to get.
A definite is: has to get along with gouramis. I know this is most any fish minus (of course) aggressive.
What I'd like to get:
-larger fish (not oscar huge but bigger than eenie meenie tetras or barbs - I like gourami size)
-very colorful (hey I might be too broke to afford saltwater but I'd still like color!) :)
-variety! I've been staring at two blue gourami and not much else...color variety yes but also something else...shape and size are good too.

I have a 55gal fake planted tank; there are pictures in my gallery (look for the tank redone pics). I keep the temp around 85 which I've left like that since my ich battle (which I won without any casualties) and the fish seem to tolerate it fine.

I'll check when I get home & post what my pH/water tests like, I know last I checked the water was pretty neutral and my other tests (nitrates/nitrates etc) were average/normal. I'm thinking of maybe getting some of the more peaceful cichlids, like blue rams or something.

I'm sure most people would just recommend getting more gourami (different types) which is ok...I'd also like some other suggestions.

I think I'm going to pick up another pleco as well...the one I've got is lazy and/or is doing a horrible job. :lol:

Thanks in advance everybody :)

I have a 55gal fake planted tank;

Sure she did. :)

Suggestions that will show up in a few posts:

Rainbowfish
Buenos Aires Tetras
Killifish
Loaches (clown loaches get about 6" and are very colorful!)
Sharks (rainbow/redtail), perhaps?

If it were me, I'd look into a clown loach and either a redtail shark or a larger catfish. Not sure what temps they prefer, but then I'd also pull that temp down to 78-80 just to keep the fish around longer and give you more options of tankmates. ;)

Check here for some more ideas and info:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=830

hth!

I just got a pair of Bosemani Rainbows & would highly recommend them. Mine are about 3 inches & are very colorful as well as interesting.

img_418863_0_2cc6ff8d5508f44eecac2673a005a82e.jpg

Oh...I didn't see that. In that case there are many choices. :)

Rams are very colorful, but are hard to keep and are short-lived
-Rainbowfish are OK, but they are like $12 each and would cost you about $72 for a school of them

If I were you I would go with:

(3) Clown loaches (they do get a foot long, but it takes them a very long time to reach that size)
(4) Angelfish
(1) Dwarf Gourami (very colorful and hyper :) )
(1) Clown Pleco or any other small pleco
(8) Platies

HTH :)

I really love my rams. So I think they would be worth a try. I also love my severum. They will get big, but they also have such a wonderful big personality and they are so fun to feed.

Various gouramis, rainbows, giant danios, swordtails, pictus catfish..
Have you ever seen a snakeskin gourami BTW?

I would definitely recommend loaches however, I'd go with Yo Yo Loaches. They aren't going to get huge like clown's eventually so you can really keep a large group of them and they are a ton of fun and active--4 to 5 of them would be great. Plus they are much hardier IMO than Clown's. Clown's tend to get Ick very, very easily.

Angels, Rams, Rainbows, Swordtails, and platies are all good choices for colorful tankmates as well.

school of Corydoras catfish
I second the rainbowfish
There is a hardy type of ram called the bolivian ram
I also second loaches
Danios

I second the Rams choice. Bolivians are said to be hardier than Blues and Golds but lack the color array. Maybe keyholes as well. Since I have snails in both my tanks, I can't have loaches but I'd have a school of them if I could.

I have a 55gal fake planted tank;

cJw said:
Sure she did. :)

Actually I had to edit my original post 'cause I didn't include that...I just figured you guys would look at my gallery but then Blazeherd mentioned it. Sorry :)

And actually I'm a 'he' but that's ok, I'm sure my you're not the only person who's ever thought I was a 'she' cause of my Cammy avatar. Either that or my messages are sorta girlie in nature which if that's the case then I've got other problems altogether. :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions (thus far), I think I'll get some more gourami (dwarfs probably, those seem more colorful than the regular ones) and I'll probably try a couple rams as well...I'm assuming the two will get along...?

I'd like to get angels I'm just afraid of my water; I know angels prefer acidic but I think mine is either dead neutral or maybe a little brackish...I didn't have a chance to test my tank water last night because our 6month old was being very very bad. ;)

I'll probably get a lot of what you guys/gals mentioned, there's a lot of variety in there and many of those fish I've never had before so I think as a nice change of pace I'll try some new stuff and have a nice assortment rather than keeping a bunch of only one or two kinds.

Thanks again everyone :)

I second any type of rainbowfish for colour and activity. I have rainbows and gouramis in two of my tanks and are very compatible. I also second yo yo loaches - they are incredible to watch and have nice colour. I also have bolivian rams (AKA red rams) in with gouramis. Lots of choices. I, too, love colour.

I second any type of rainbowfish for colour and activity. I have rainbows and gouramis in two of my tanks and are very compatible. I also second yo yo loaches - they are incredible to watch and have nice colour. I also have bolivian rams (AKA red rams) in with gouramis. Lots of choices. I, too, love colour.

Check out my stocking in my 55 gallon, i also love colorful fish, I just lost all my clown loaches to a case of Ich :cry: but i will be getting 3 more in a week or two. I LOVE angel fish, they aren't really colorful (some of the Koi angels can be) but they really add character to the aquarium. And you could just have one (not 6 like me, some say that's overstocked, but they are small right now) I also love my dwarf gouramis and my red tail loach. Cory catfish aren't very colorful either, but they like to school and are fun to watch. I'm thinking about getting a male and female Guppy to have fry, because ive heard angels like guppy fry.

Back
Top Bottom