I need help so much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtank3

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have bought a 20 gal fish tank and I am setting it up I would like to have 4 guppies in it (1 male and 3 female) that way they have room to grow and breed I would also like to find dwarf pleco (anything except bristlenose) preferably albino or striped something not too expensive so I guess I just want to know if you guys know a place where I could get them or order them :fish2::fish1:because I am clueless lol :confused: please refer this to a person who knows and try and help THANK YOU :thanks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you cycled the tank?

Most plecos are too big for this tank. They serve no good purpose aside from the owner liking them. They produce much more waste than they will clean up.

A clown pleco might work. It's the smallest I can think of off the top my head.

Caleb

Have you cycled the tank?

Most plecos are too big for this tank. They serve no good purpose aside from the owner liking them. They produce much more waste than they will clean up.

A clown pleco might work. It's the smallest I can think of off the top my head.

Caleb

No I haven't done anything to it yet I just want to sort it out and do everything setting up wise over the course of September

Do you know a good place to get clown pelcos ??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alrighty well head over to the getting started section and read the stickies. That will tell you how to cycle the tank so it is safe for fish.

The chain stores in my area have clown plecos.

Caleb

Your tank will be over run by guppies quickly if you breed them.

You could get a rubber lip pleco, stay pretty small, but as already said, are poop machines. Plus they need driftwood to rasp on.

Your tank will be over run by guppies quickly if you breed them.

I plan to leave them in the tank after they are birthed so if the fish are cannibalistic it will be survival of the fittest (NOTE. I don't mean this to sound sick or for some dark pleasure as this would happen in the wild and is natural so..)

You could get a rubber lip pleco, stay pretty small, but as already said, are poop machines. Plus they need driftwood to rasp on.

I'm thinking about getting some snails instead or those small catfish/bottom feeder things from petsmart (idk what they called but yea)

I'm thinking about getting some snails instead or those small catfish/bottom feeder things from petsmart (idk what they called but yea)

If you want algae cleanup, get nerite snails. I think the small catfish you are thinking of are cory cats. There are many species. They all need to be kept in schools of 3 or 4 minimum, but 6 or more are better. They still need to be fed quality food. If you are wanting them to clean up garbage, just because they feed on the bottom, they are not garbage eaters. While they will swim up and down plant leaves they are not considered algae eaters. They also need space. There are a few very small species that may be suitable for your tank, but I personally believe that a school of corys benefits from a 29 gallon or larger tank.

Last edited:
I also forgot to mention that corys do better with a sand or other small rounded grain substrate.

I'm glad you are asking questions and researching before buying any fish. That's an excellent way to get started. With a little research you will find fish you enjoy and that are suitable for the tank you have.

Update as of today I have decided to get otocinclus catfish (oto cats) instead of the things listed above

This has been a public service announcement published by fishtank3

Back
Top Bottom