I need some help with new Aquarium!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am a beginner and wasn't much aware of this cycling process. I was told in store that i have to fill up the aquarium, put the gravels and let filter run for 2-3 days and then i can add the fish. so i did that :). I bought 4 guppy and 3 glow fish they all died in 4 days then i bought 3 mollies and today they died too. after reading online now I know that cycling process is lot more then what i know. Now i don't want to add any more fish before it is cycled.

I want to do fish-less cycling. Current water analysis -- Ammonia - 0, nitrite - 3.0, nirtate - 20, pH - 7.6, Alkalinity - 120, hardness - 75, chlorine and chloramine - 0, Temp - 77.

How should I proceed? Should I remove existing water and add new?

Charan said:
i am a beginner and wasn't much aware of this cycling process. I was told in store that i have to fill up the aquarium, put the gravels and let filter run for 2-3 days and then i can add the fish. so i did that :). I bought 4 guppy and 3 glow fish they all died in 4 days then i bought 3 mollies and today they died too. after reading online! now I know that cycling process is lot more then what i know. Now i don't want to add any more fish before it is cycled.

I want to do fish-less cycling. Current water analysis -- Ammonia - 0, nitrite - 3.0, nirtate - 20, pH - 7.6, Alkalinity - 120, hardness - 75, chlorine and chloramine - 0, Temp - 77.

How should I proceed? Should I remove existing water and add new?

Don't throw the filter media away!

leave the water in there (and the filter media). you need to get yourself a good test kit (API Master test kit is a good choice) the test strips are not reliable and you can find great differences between the liquid test kit and the stest strips.

read the article you were given to read and then go find yourself a good ammonia source. if you are unsure ask here before using it. then you are going to start adding ammonia into your tank and testing it. while you are at it go ahead and test your tap water as well. test ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and PH. for the PH you will need to set a bowl of water out for 12 -24 hours and then test it.
post your results here.

Tank size is 12 gal

Today I bought API freshwater master test kit and "ACE Ammonia janitorial strength formula (1 qt)"
Water test results are
pH 7.6
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 2.0ppm
NitrAte 20ppm
Water temp 78 deg

Please let me know if this is the right ammonia and how approx much should I put in 12 gal tank to make it 4ppm.

Thanks!

You will need to bring your amm level up to 4ppm- the amount of amm needed to do this is tiny. Ill post a link for the amm calculator- you will need to fill in your tank size, % of amm (10%) & the desired ppm- they have a default of 5ppm, switch this to 4ppm. Hope this helps!

Calculator

Thanks for the calculator link otherwise I would have add at least a cup of ammonia.lol

I added 2ml and now ammonia level is 4ppm.

Today morning I tested the water and here are the results.

Ammonia : 0ppm
NitrIite : 2.0ppm
NitrAte : 5.0 ppm
pH : 7.6
Water Tem: 80 degrees

After the test, I added 1.5 ml ammonia and now the level of ammonia is back to 4ppm.

I have not changed any water so far.

Are these result good?

Today morning I tested the water and here are the results.

NitrIite : 2.0ppm

After the test, I added 1.5 ml ammonia and now the level of ammonia is back to 4ppm.

I have not changed any water so far.

Are these result good?

Yes very good! AMmonia is dropping to 0 within 24 hours and your nitrites are starting to rise. This is very good for 2 weeks in! Just keep dosing ammonia once a day. Nitrites should keep rising. Keep an eye on your PH as it can fall suddenly (if this happens do a large water change). You're doing well!

03-18-2012

Here are the today's results.

NitrIite : 5.0ppm

The Guide say, if Nitrite and Nitrate are very high then make 50-60% water change. Since the nitrIite is quite high(5.0), should I change the water or wait?

Thanks!

A water change isnt necessary yet because your nitrites just spiked this high. As long as your ph is staying stable, I wouldnt be too concerned yet about your nitrites. If they persist in being this high after a week or two, then you can do a water change to bring them down to a readable level. Your just starting phase two of the cycle (nitrite>nitrate)- this phase is the toughest to wait out because it can take twice as long as the amm>nitrite phase. Hang in there! :)

03/21

NitrIite : I think somewhere between 2.0 - 5.0ppm :)

NitrAte : 40.0 ppm

Thanks!

03-24

NitrIte : 5.0 ppm ( As per petSmart it is >10)

NitrAte : 160 ppm
pH : 7.0 (-)

Seems like Nitrate and Nitrite both are quite high. and pH is going down.

Are these ok? Do I need to change the water?

Thanks!

The nitrate being high is good news! Lots of conversion is happening & the buffers in your water are being used up in the process. Its def time for a big water change to restore your buffers before you ph crashes (and your cycle stalls). Do as big of a water change as you can manage (90+%) with properly conditioned, temperature-matched water. Then drop your amm dose down to 2ppm & lets see how things look in 24hrs. :)

03-26

I have made 90% water change yesterday and then added 2ppm of ammonia.

NitrIte : 0.0 ppm
NitrAte : 5ppm

Added 4ppm ammonia after test.

thanks!

Seems tank cycling complete.

Today again Ammonia and Nitrite come zero.

Does this means tank cycling is done and I can add fish now?

Test results

NitrIte : 0.0 ppm
NitrAte : 5ppm

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom