I need to know what fish to stock in my aquarium...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bm_phillips

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon aquarium. My tap water is well water. So it's very hard water. A high pH and alkaline. The temperature in my tank stays between 75-85 degrees without any heater. Mostly due to the hood lights and size of the aquarium. My gorgeous blue oranda goldfish just kicked the bucket (all my fault) after a year and after growing at least 4 or 5 inches in that time. Although the temps were high, he was definitely thriving in my tank. I was hoping to get another goldfish, but I don't have the means to acclimate him to the high temperatures in my tank. So I'm stuck as to which fish would do best in my tank? I do like larger fish or smaller and active fish... Any ideas? :)

Welcome to AA!

No goldfish in a 10g. A fancy goldfish really needs 30g for the first fish and an additional 10g for each additional fish. Common goldfish need a pond. Goldfish are messy fish, so maintaining good water quality is difficult and keeping them in a small tank can stunt their growth. Sorry.

75-85 degrees is a pretty big swing. A heater will help stabilize the tank temperature. Is this tank by a vent or a window by chance? What kind of thermometer are you using? 85 is really warm, particularly for an unheated tank.

Small tetras or rasboras would be a good choice for your tank.

Welcome Aquarium Advice! Congrats for doing research before getting fish.

If you do get tetras make sure they are not very sensative to hard water. Most tetras thrive in soft to slightly hard water, though they may be able to adapt to your water. I would think livebearers like platies, guppies, or endlers would also be good fish for your hard water. Please do stabilize your temperatue, because even the hardiest of fish are sensative to a 10 degree change.

Bettas like high temps and hard water. They can get along well with a school of small tetras. Plus, they are beautiful. :)

As long as the tetras aren't the long-finned variety, then bettas and tetras can get nippy.

Thanks

So I was thinking a Betta, but I walked into the pet store and cichlids caught my eye. I bought two of them. I know they need a bigger tank and I'm working on that. Two African cichlids. One an female electric yellow(with the black fins), the other an electric blue. Although I can't determine whether it is a female or a juvenile male. It is mostly grey. Just two very bright blue spots by its gills. Also a little blue by the tummy. They are doing very well in my tank water. :)

Back
Top Bottom