I think one of my ottos is sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
They both usually hang around the back of the tank behind this one plant. This morning I noticed the smaller one was on one of the big plants in the middle of the tank. He is still there, and his fins are clamped. He sucking around on the leaves a bit, but every once in a while it looks like he starts to float up on one side, but corrects him self right after. There is no outward indication, other than the clamped fins, that he is ill.
Ph 7.8
ammo 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 10
temp 80

The last water change was one week ago. I was going to do one today but I have the crud. Suggestions welcome.

My dozen or so oto's are impossible to find usually, as they are most often found hiding in dark areas.

How long have you had the otos? I've read about newly purchased otos not doing so well -- some explanations are stress from being wild-caught or lack of food (lots of algae) and overcrowding at the lfs. I've read if you can get through the first month, they should be ok.

They prefer nitrates below 20 ppm, so that looks good, and the temp looks good too. Are they eating well? Otos must have food always available. If your tank doesn't have lots of algae for them, supplement with algae wafers and veggies.

Here's a good link: http://www.otocinclus.com/newoto.html

When you're done reading that page, at the bottom, click on "Back to Main" and scroll about halfway down for more articles and other links.

I have had them for about 6 months. He looks the same today. Not any worse, so I think I am going to do a pwc today and maybe up them to a few times a week for a while and see if that improves anything.

Back
Top Bottom