ideas for a 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saywill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been a salt water guy for many years, I am going to set up a 55 gallon fresh water tank. What do you all have for suggestions on livestock?:uzi:

What kind of look are you going for? If you're going to plant it, some rams, maybe a couple angels, and some other community fish. If you dont want to plant it, an african cichlid tank... those are my two favorite setups :)

Well lets see.

55g cichlid, very nice idea. Cichlids look great in any of the larger tanks (hate seeing them in small ones)

Community tanks are fun. All guppies, platys and such.

We're turning ours in a tetra tank. It did house SA cichlids but they are now in a 120g (and lovin' it)

A catfish tank. Tons of corys, and a few top dwellers just for the mix.

My idea (which I want to do with a new tank) a river tank with hillstream loaches, white clouds, pygmy corys etc.

A shrimp and rasbora tank.

I'll stop now. This is making me want a few more tanks :) (my fiance might have issues with that. *lol* )

Same here. Just reading this makes me want to get another 20 tanks.
So as a start iv always loved angel fish and depending on where you get them they can be a good, hardy, long-living fish that can be fun to keep.
A community tank is also something that i haven't gotten around to and yes dragon is right. They can be fun but with guppies and platys you might want to make sure you have some experience with "crowd control." Trust me those fish breed fast.
A tetra tank is also something that would be a nice addition. They come in many different shapes, sizes, and colors. In one of my tanks i have black neon tetras, and neon tetras. I also have diamond tetras and they are very beautiful but in the store (like most tetras)they look ugly becuse of bad water conditions. Some one could easily pass by the tank of a diamond tetra with out a second glance because of their unusually expensive prices and dull coloration but once i took them home and gave them the right care their whole bodys lit up like a christmas tree. Like their name said they truly sparkle like diamonds.
One more breed of fish that has been my favorite are tiger barbs. I unfortinetly have not had a lot of experience with them since they all died in the prosses of cycling one of my tanks. But they can grow large and they not only come in orange and black but sometimes green also. They are know to be fin nippers and should not be kept with other fish that have long, flowy fins.

Well i have a tetra tank and love it i also have plants

Cichlids are awesome and fun

Gouramis

and a beautiful communtiy tank with angels tetras shrimp who knows

Get some good lights and DIY CO2 and Flourite substrate and grow some plants! Like this!

img_1079509_0_e41fc86b97bda7decc254a51241dd2e0.jpg

...only I don't have CO2, just ferts. Still, planted is fun! Don't forget...no carbon - Purigen.

Back
Top Bottom