Ideas for new 5G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

super_fishies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5G and it has already been cycled. I am looking for fish to stock it with. Since it is a 5G, I don't have a lot of options. Also, the tap water in my area has a pH of 7.8 and I don't want to do anything to change the water. Any ideas for fish? I'm open to having just one specimen to display or just anything.

Thanks,

You could always go the betta route. A couple cherry barbs wouldn't hurt either like maybe 3 depending on size, but that would be pushing it and I'm sure some on here would disagree with that. You could go one dwarf gouarmi but it'd have to be a smaller one and you'd have to stay on top of your water maint.

I was considering a betta, but if I have one fish I would like for it to be something worthwhile. Any particular Bettas that stand out?

have you thought about rcs? i know you said fish, but since betas are pretty much your only option, rcs would be a really cool route to think about

I don't know about just having shrimp. Don't get me wrong, I think they have loads of personality. What do you think about a dwarf gourami?

Agree. A dwarf gourami would be too big for a 5g. I also think either a single betta or a shrimp setup. A nicely planted out 5g wouls make a couple of dozen cherry shrimp look really nice.

You could also get a divider and get 2 bettas. Or like 3-5 girls, making a sorority tank. I love my bettas!

There is a potential that one or all of them are aggressive :( even in my 30g my two betta girls fin nip a bit.

I don't know lol, they keep to themselves when they are fighting they swim through my school of danios and they stop the shenanigans.

I would have to agree about getting a betta, there are some really beautiful ones if you look around and don't pick the first one you see. A species you could look for is called the delta betta, they are my favorite.

Most bettas look like crap when you see them in the store, and when you get them home and take care of them, they flourish and look beautiful! I always thought the pink ones were ugly, but then I bought one as a rescue, and when I brought him home and gave him some TLC, he became the most beautiful irridescent fish!
Another friend of mine rescued one that was starving to death and had a curved spine, (his "brother" had died a couple hours before that in the shop), so she bought him and took him home, and now he's a feisty little bugger and HILARIOUS, and in great health!
And I have to say the usual veiltails and the copepr halfmoons are my fave!

I'm also considering resurrecting my 5 gallon. Although I was thinking more about keeping a number of smaller fish such as Neons? Or would getting a single Betta and some shrimp be a better choice?

The betta will probably eat the shrimp. A betta and a few neons will do ok in a 5g.

Sounds like a plan. Although wouldn't the Betta just eat the neons?!

I'm still setting up my 64 litre just now so no doubt if I decide to bring my 5G back I'll be back on here for more advice!

Back
Top Bottom