Ideas for stocking a 20g extra tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarviek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon extra tall tank that I am looking for ideas to stock. (just moving the current fish to a new tank)

The decor is driftwood, and several live plants. I have UV, CO2 and a HOB filter

I was thinking of shrimp for the bottom, and several micro fish to populate the rest. If I have room for the a centerpiece fish, I was thinking a beta may suit.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Sorry, I should have added that in the original post. 24h x 20l x 10w. It is like two 10g stacked.

Snype2live said:
school of ten neons and 8 corys and m/f bristle nose pleco

I looked up corys, and the pandas may suit. Since they appear to be bottom dwellers, would this preclude the shrimp? (I love the idea of keeping shrimp)

no as someone told me before about my tank shrimp have such a small bio load as long as you dong go stupid with like 20 of them you can keep your maximum bio limit plus 10 15 shrimp (excludes the moster shrimp that get like 4 inches long) so i would do 10 shrimp , 6 corys, and school of tetras or some guppies (my personal favorite is endlers) or a main show piece fish but i find trying to do that really hurts thing cause all those are classified as peaceful/ semi-aggresive( all depends on certain fish) i mean i got a paradise fish which everyone told me would be find with corys and well he ripped the eye balls out of 2

school of ten neons and 8 corys and m/f bristle nose pleco
I wouldn't add one BN, let alone two. Cories would work, if you go with hastatus, pygmaeus, or habrosus. The others are too large.

For this tank you basically need to choose the same fish that work in 10 gal tanks, since the footprint is the same. Makes a great nano fish tank. I would probably stock it with some of the following: habrosus cories, yunnanilus cruciatus, endlers, chili rasbora, microdevario kubotai, CPD's, danio erythromicron, danio tinwini, ember tetras, scarlet badis, sparkling gourami.

If you don't want to go the nano fish route, others that are good candidates are: pork chop rasbora, marble hatchets, laubuca dadiburjori, neon tetra, platties, guppies, betta, dwarf gourami, and peacock gudgeons.

Lots of inverts will work as well, such as various dwarf shrimp, dwarf crays like CPO's, thai micro crabs, apples snails, rabbit snails, and nerite snails.

he he so almost what i said i just messed up on the bn :((( im still learning sorry for bad info i figured since bn fine for my 25 gallon tank it would be fine in this one

My opinion is that a bn is fine in that tank. The footprint isn't something I'd think up when planning a bn tank, but I don't know of any issues that a single bn would have in that particular setup.

Some hobbyists feel a BN in a 20 is fine, but I like 29 gals better as a minimum for them. I think one isn't terrible, but for the footprint of this paticular tank I don't like it.

If the tank has been established for atleast 6 months, it should be able to support a trio of oto cats, which also fit in better with the nano/micro fish theme, though they can be sensitive.

Thanks for all the info. This tank has been setup for a year now. I was going to move all the existing fish, but I do have two otos in there now, I don't mind leaving them in there.
I like the idea of a nano tank. Mostly because they will present less of a risk to the shrimp. Just going to research the list of nano fish, and see what size/risk small crays would be. The crays would be instead of shrimp.

I've kept nano fish as small as CPD's with CPO's and never lost a fish, but it's always a possiblity. They certainly are much safer with fish than larger crays. You could do both crays and shrimp, if you'd like. It's common to keep them together. Mature crays will eat juvie shrimp, as well as juvie crays, but they shouldn't bother mature shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom