Ideas for stocking a 6G/23L Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

galacticcookie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again everyone,

I've posted before regarding the Fluval Edge 6G/23L and I think I've decided that's the tank I want.

I've also pretty much decided the kind of fish/invertebrates I'd like, I just need some help in dealing with the quantities. I want to make sure I don't overstock such a small tank.

I really like Guppies, Scarlet Badis, Endler's Livebearer, Celestial Pearl Danios and Cherry Shrimp. I also like Dwarf Gouramis, but I have been told they are too big for this tank. Are any of these species 'good' together, and at which quantities?

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

6 gallons make a really nice little nano tank to stock!

If this were my tank, I would first get some fish and plants in there before shrimp. This allows for some biofilm to grow for the shrimp to feed off of and to give them more cover than a just planted tank. I think that I would do
A trio of endlers
5-6 Celestial Pearl Danios
And a colony of RCS

If you get the endlers in a male:female ratio of 1:2 I would expect to see lots of baby endlers. They are pretty much just smaller guppies. Also, don't expect to see lots of shrimplets. There will probably be some that escape the fish, but not a lot. If the fish wanted to they could go and eat all the shrimplets.
An alternative stocking list would be
Male:female ratio of badis, something like 2:3 (expect to see some small territorial disputes)
Lots of RCS (again, don't expect to see lots of shrimplets)

Dwarf Gouramis will end up being too big for this tank. It would work temporarily, but then they would eventually require at least a 10 gallon tank. Let us know what you end up doing!

I would do 3 scarlet badis, 7 celestial pearl danios, and lots of rili shrimp.

Or an alternative would be 1 dwarf pufferfish.

Badis are nice but tend to be shy. They often won't accept anything but live foods.

A group of male Endlers would be nice. They're colorful and active.

With lots of hiding place you might have some shrimplets survive but for the most part fish will make meals out of them.

Substrate shrimp show better color on dark substrate if you haven't made that decision yet.

Sparkling gouramis are also an option.

6 gallons makes for a very tiny tank.

IMHO, something as small as just a trio of guppies or danios is going to be pushing it. Many fish sites even list guppies and danios and needing a minimum 10g-20g tank. Even tiny Neon Tetra's need a 10g tank just because man fish this size usually need to be in schools of a minimum of 5 to 7.

The one thing that would not over-stock a 6 gallon tank would be a betta. 6 gallons would be a relatively large tank for a betta.

Yet even with just a betta you can liven the tank up some by adding the shrimp, some live plants, and certain snails (nerite or MTS).

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your feedback, it's been very useful.

I've just found out that Fluval actually do a bigger Edge, which is 46L/12G. Does this make any difference to the type of fish I can get and the quantities? The tank itself is twice as big as the smaller version, and not much more expensive so I can definitely get that one instead if it makes any difference.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

Oh yeah, a 12 gallon gives you quite a lot more options! Kuhli loaches, smaller species of tetras, platys, danios, maybe a dwarf gourami, peacock gudgeons, dwarf puffers (if this isn't your first tank- they can be a challenge). Not all of those at once of couse but all of those are fish you could put in a 12 gallon but not a 6 gallon (and there's plenty more).

IMHO, a 12 gallon tank still isn't very big... but it moves you from a tank limited to a single betta to a tank that can support a small school of small fish.

And by small fish, I mean very small fish, like a school of neon tetras.

Looking at liveaquaria as a data source, fish even as small as guppies can require a 20g minimum size.

Actually, as I look around at the various species listed, about the only thing that can fit in such a small tank is a small school of one of the smaller tettras (neon, black neon, cardinal, silver tip, etc).

When I got a 13g to setup at the office, I limited myself to a small school of neon tetras (6-9) and one betta (or gourami).

It is definitely possible to safely house a larger population of fish in these smaller aquariums, but the more you stock, the more you have to maintain the tank with more frequent water changes.

BTW, my comments on stock levels still allow for other critters that you don't have to consider when you contemplate the bio-load on your tank... like nerrite snails, MTS, and similar snails along with shrimp.

BTW, my comments on stock levels still allow for other critters that you don't have to consider when you contemplate the bio-load on your tank... like nerrite snails, MTS, and similar snails along with shrimp.

Any living creature will affect bioload, even the smallest shrimp or snail.

Any living creature will affect bioload, even the smallest shrimp or snail.

Technically correct... but if you are being as conservative as I'm suggesting on the number and size of fish to place in a relatively small aquarium, you can add a few invertebrates without greatly affecting the bioload.

I personally wouldnt do a betta in a fluval edge because they only jave that small pocket of air space up top, and with the filter flow going through that little hole as well, it would be hard for the betta to get air with it's labyrinth organ. In either a six or 12 you could do guppies or endlers

Hello again everyone,

Using all of your advice and a lot of time spent on aqadvisor, I think I've come up with some quantities. Here's what I'm thinking;

• 2 Dwarf Gourami
• 8 Guppy
• 5 Wood Shrimp
• 5 Pygmy Cory

Aqadvice is saying that the stocking level is 86%. Do you think this amount of fish is okay and they're compatible?

Thanks again, Adam

Don't do more than one dwarf gourami. They're related to bettas and are similar to them in that they don't tolerate conspecifics.

Otherwise it sounds ok to me, aside from I know very little about shrimp so i can't say for sure about the wood shrimp.

Would I be able to add any Celestial Pearl Danios to this setup? I was thinking about 8, which takes the overall stocking level to 96% apparently. As they're so small, would they be attacked?

I would stick to what you already have. I know aqadvisor says its ok but it seems like a bit much to add any more to me.

Hi again everyone,

Just wanted to ask if anyone could tell me what food to buy for this stocking list, I'm thinking flakes, sinking pellets and algae wafers. Also, does anyone know or can estimate how much it would cost to feed this stocking list a month?

If the wood shrimp you're thinking of is the filter feeding shrimp that gets to be about 3 or so inches, five sounds like way too much for a 6 gallon tank. I've been doing some research on this same type of shrimp, however I'm planning on adding only a sigle one to my 20g long. Because they're filter feeders, they need a fast current and lots of space, it's recommended that they have a 15g or 20g space. If the current isn't strong enough, they won't be able to find food, and they'll starve.

Additionally, gouramis of any kind prefer stiller waters and would probably be really stressed in an environment suitable to the wood/bamboo shrimp or vice versa.

I don't really think those two species are compatible.

Back
Top Bottom