Ideas on fish....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullnugget

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55 gallon tank, with a Marineland Emperor 400 HOB filter. I was just messing around on the stock calculator at AqAdvisor.com, and I have a lot of room left.

Right now these are the fish I have and plan to keep...
5 Long fin red minor tetras
1 clown pleco
1 peppered cory
1 albino cory
1 jullii cory
3 mystery snails
3 otos

These are fish I plan on trading to get others....
1 angelfish
1 angelicus botia
1 clown loach

I will get another rainbow shark, the one I had went through my beginner mistake of not letting the tank cycle, he was the only fish to live and just last week I found him just floating around, still breathing but could hardly keep himself moving. I just flushed him, then found out I could have saved him, because it may have been swim bladder, or I think that is what its called?
I know its a semi aggressive fish, but he never bothered the others, and if I get him last I figure it will be ok.

The fish I plan on keeping are bottom feeders obviously, except the tetras but they hang around the bottom anyways. I want some ideas on top swimmers, I know hatchet fish are some but they also look kind of boring.

Also some middle swimmers that lean towards the top, Id like to stay with smaller fish, I like the quantity over size idea.

Oh, and I know Corys are schoolers right? The girl at Petsmart said they might school together even though they are different breeds of Corys, haven't seen that yet but I just got em today. So I can get some more of those if need be, like I said I have like %250 filtration capacity and like %20 stocking level right now

While cory's like to shoal with their own species they will shoal and interact with other species of cory's.

A clown loach will get too large for a 55g. Angelicus loaches like to be in larger groups so I'd do at least 3 of these guys or you could do 6 or so Dwarf Chain Loaches since they are so much smaller. I have 6 Angelicus in my 220g.

You'll have to watch the angelfish as the tetra's are known for fin nipping.

Upper level choices are Threadfin Rainbows, Hatchet fish (Marbles are my favorites), Regular or Purple Harlequin Rasbora's tend to stay higher in the tank, as do Long fin White Cloud Mountian Minnows.

You may have aggression issues with a shark and the loaches since loaches have the same basic body shape as the shark does.

While cory's like to shoal with their own species they will shoal and interact with other species of cory's.

A clown loach will get too large for a 55g. Angelicus loaches like to be in larger groups so I'd do at least 3 of these guys or you could do 6 or so Dwarf Chain Loaches since they are so much smaller. I have 6 Angelicus in my 220g.

You'll have to watch the angelfish as the tetra's are known for fin nipping.

Upper level choices are Threadfin Rainbows, Hatchet fish (Marbles are my favorites), Regular or Purple Harlequin Rasbora's tend to stay higher in the tank, as do Long fin White Cloud Mountian Minnows.

You may have aggression issues with a shark and the loaches since loaches have the same basic body shape as the shark does.

Rivercat, I may have read it wrong but I think it said the loaches are fish that he currently has that he plans on trading in to get new fish.

Rivercat, I may have read it wrong but I think it said the loaches are fish that he currently has that he plans on trading in to get new fish.

Yes, I am thanks. I knew the clown loach would get to big when I got it, but as far as bottom feeders went that I thought looked nice the clown loach was the only one. Even though I like the looks of it better than the Corys I still got some corys yesterday, kind of a function over look thing....I knew nothing about the Angelicus when I got it either, but they look awesome.

Yep I read it wrong! I love my Angelicus loaches and actually keep them and cory's.

Back
Top Bottom