Ideas stocking a 30 gallon brackish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon.goby

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 30 gallon tank and would like to start a brackish tank. I've never done brackish before but I have done many freshwater ones. I would like some ideas for stocking it. Right now in the tank (it's freshwater) there is a Violet Goby and 2 Bumble Bee Gobys. I got them unaware that they were brackish. So I decided to make it a brackish tank. Anyway, do you have any ideas on some other beginner fish for it? :)

If you have the bumblebee and violet gobies in there, I'd say you're overstocked. The violet gobies need a bigger tank. You could add a Molly or two.

Your Tank

I have a 30 gallon tank and would like to start a brackish tank. I've never done brackish before but I have done many freshwater ones. I would like some ideas for stocking it. Right now in the tank (it's freshwater) there is a Violet Goby and 2 Bumble Bee Gobys. I got them unaware that they were brackish. So I decided to make it a brackish tank. Anyway, do you have any ideas on some other beginner fish for it? :)

Hello Dragon...

You could have just about whatever fish you like as long as the salt level in the water is low. Brackish water is simply water that contains between a half and 30 grams of salt per liter of water or .5 to 30 parts salt per thousand of water. Brackish water takes in a wide variety of water conditions.

I keep livebearers in brackish water. I use roughly 5 grams of salt or a rounded teaspoon in every 5 gallons of pure, treated tap water. If you used no more than this in the tank water, most, if not all aquarium fish would be fine.

B

My old tank was brackish and I had freshwater sole, fig 8 puffer, 6 BBGs and 1 mudskipper. I built a platform for the mudskipper and he never came into contact with the other fish in the tank. I loved that tank until one awful weekend when i went away the heater malfunctioned. i dont know the real temp but the thermometer was maxed out at 120 F. I havent set up a tank since. its been 2 years. Within a year or so I plan on buy a house and setting up 2 brackish tanks with all the fish i mentioned except i will have the mudskippers separate.

Do you need shallow water for the mud skipper?

Without fish, what would be the point in life?

1. yes you need shallow water with land. My mudskipper never went into the water past his eyes. He spent 80% of his time completely out of water only running backing in to fill his cheeks. He would hop up to the front of the tank when he saw me enter the room and would just watch me, like he is doing in the picture same with the puffer.

2.without fish i am bored but I am currently living with my parents so i can save enough money to buy a house.

Here is a picture of my tank.

37704-albums9736-picture39455.png

Homer, how did you make that platform?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Homer, how did you make that platform?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used pvc that i painted black to hold up plexiglass. for around the glass where the plexiglass is touching you can glue strips of glass to the tank with silicone and have the plexiglass sit on top of it, but the stuff i glued to the glass i found at the beer distributer that i used to work at and it worked really well but i dont know what it was.

If i could do it all over again i would just glue pieces of glass to the the sides of the tank and then set a piece of glass on top as the platform and it would probably work just as well if not better and there would be no need for the PVC.

Back
Top Bottom