Identify a Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpAceGiRl94

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my friend rescued a fish from Walmart but he has forgotten what type of fish it is. Can anyone identify him?

Also, I've already told him that he needs to get a larger tank pronto for said fish. He's going to get a 10 gallon for the little guy as soon as he gets his paycheck.

Attachments

• 20190922_144005.jpg
    20190922_144005.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 57
Long finned white skirt tetra? If so they're a schooling fish so more than 10 gallons would be needed if you do a school.

Long finned white skirt tetra? If so they're a schooling fish so more than 10 gallons would be needed if you do a school.

Because of the stripes, that's actually a long finned Black Tetra ( sometimes
the long finned ones were referred to as GTO Tetras ) but you are close because the white skirt tetras are a color morph of the Black Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi ) (y) All of the Whites, Glo Tetras and their long finned varieties are all listed as Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, just color morphs of the original Blacks.

That's why I wasn't 100%. Black skirts have all been darker when I've seen them but if this one was stressed it makes sense that it would look pale.

That's why I wasn't 100%. Black skirts have all been darker when I've seen them but if this one was stressed it makes sense that it would look pale.

Sadly, imo, because of all the color manipulations, it's easy these days to see fish that are not 100% a clear certain color. You then go by the Latin name so you can get the species right. ( Common names can be regional or used for different fish :huh: ) But this is not unique to today's fish. The Red swordtail was the creation of a hybridization of a Swordtail and a Platy. The darker red that came from that mix were called Red velvets, the lighter ones were Reds and the lighter orange ones were called Brick swords. All three fish could come from the same spawn. As new colors were produced through these variations, the one thing they all had in common was that they were all X. helleri. ;) The same can now be said for the Black Tetra. They could be Blacks, Whites, Long finned Blacks, Long finned Whites and Glo- tetras but they are all the same Gymnocorymbus ternetzi. (y)

Back
Top Bottom