Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Jramatized
IF

Ok Ive been trying to cure my tank of ich. The one fish that had it the worse(spots) is now clearing up, but now the fish that never had any spots have them. Does this mean its gonna start all over again, should I change anything? Ive been using salt . 2 doses(Tbls) 3 times a day. Have been doing 20% water cahnge and gravle vac. once a day. Now deciding to cut back to 3-4 times a week so I dont take out all thebacteria needed in the tank. I also have the carbon took out of my filter. Trying to keep the temp at 88. Should the spots go away in these other fish as well? or will it go back to the others again? The one who had it was a silver dollar. the 2 gettin it now are black fin sharks aka columbian shark.

Correct info only please.
Thanks in advance

Old 02-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Drake
You should move the sick fish to a quarantine tank if possible. But you are doing everything necessary to cure the ich.

10 gallon-brackish, figure-eight puffer, knight goby
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Re: IF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jramatized
The one fish that had it the worse(spots) is now clearing up, but now the fish that never had any spots have them. Does this mean its gonna start all over again, should I change anything? Ive been using salt . 2 doses(Tbls) 3 times a day.
The salt should have been added all at once. How many days have you been adding this amount of salt?

Quote:
Have been doing 20% water cahnge and gravle vac. once a day. Now deciding to cut back to 3-4 times a week so I dont take out all thebacteria needed in the tank.
This is too frequent...just weekly as normal.

Quote:
also have the carbon took out of my filter. Trying to keep the temp at 88. Should the spots go away in these other fish as well? or will it go back to the others again? The one who had it was a silver dollar. the 2 gettin it now are black fin sharks aka columbian shark.
It's not unusual for the other fish to show signs. The parasite was already present. The spots are visible when they mature

Quote:
Correct info only please.
Thanks in advance
Wouldn't give anything else
Old 02-07-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Jramatized
Ive been doing the salt treament for about 4-5 days now. I was dfoing it all at once tehn someone said to break it up into 3 times a day. And they said to do more gravle vacs to get rid of teh free swimming ich things
Old 02-07-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

The total amount of salt should have been a total of 1 tbsp per gal. The temp is correct. The treatment should continue at least 3-4 weeks to be sure to get all the parasites. When you do a water change, you will have to replace the salt equal to the amount you removed. You should vac the gravel at this time. As you said, you don't want to kill off your bacteria and undergo a mini cycle.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You should move the sick fish to a quarantine tank if possible.
Since ich infects the whole tank, treat the entire tank. It is not necessary to stress the fish further by moving them.

The reason ich is now showing up on your other fish is due to increasing the life cycle of the parasite. The ich would have shown up regardless of the heat and salt. With this treatment, things get worse before they get better. You will see the ich clear up from these fish and then continue the treatment for 2-3 weeks longer. I agree with Jchillin--go back to your normal PWC routine and add the salt already dissolved in water all at once--the fish will be fine. Make sure there is enough surface agitation because less oxygen diffuses into warmer water. 86*F is the highest temp you need.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com