If I understand this right...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okpondlady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When your tank is cycled the nitrIte will be 0 and the nitrAte will be 0. The ammonia should stay down along with the pH will be nutral? Is this correct? The link I read is for saltwater. Is this the same thing for freshwater?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Thanks.

Now that I have no more live inhabitants in my tank I am going to do a fishless cycle. Do I need to use the fresh shrimp? My ammonia is already very high. It shows no sign of comming down either. My plants are turning to mush as we speak, the anacharis is going....

Karen

The ammonia will be o. The nitrites will be 0. The nitrates will go up untill you change water. Try to keep them under 20-30 ppm. You do this by doing PWC.

The PH has nothing to do with the cycle once it is over. That will depend on the water you add to the tank as well as other factors. (I.E. Driftwood, CO2 injection Etc.)

Plants will keep the 'trAtes down as well... you want the 'trItes to be 0 and ammonia to be 0.

There are 2 spots to teh cycle - when one kind of "wee beastie" grows and converts ammonia to nitrite, and the second when another wee beastie establishes adn converts nitrite to nitrate

Once the second bacteria kicks in, you are very close to done - when ammonia hits 0 add fish. Also remember that adding a lot of fish all at once (unless you *just* finished your cycle and have impeccable timing) may cause a mini cycle. The bacteria can double in a day or so given enough "food" (ammonia/nitrite) and media to live on.

I wouldn't add fish at all when Nitrites are present in the tank. Nitrites are more deadly to fish. I'd just wait it out until the Nitrites are 0.

Back
Top Bottom