If you were a 12 year old boy what would you want in your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropicallie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm setting up a little 5g for my little brother as a supprise and I don't know what to put in. Suggestions?

Something transparent. Fish similar to x-ray tetras and ghost catfish, but something small.

Chiroptera said:
Something transparent. Fish similar to x-ray tetras and ghost catfish, but something small.

Ghost shrimp and a betta!

Cant say thats true. I have only ever owned 1 betta and we put a ghost shrimp in there and hes ok.

99.99% of betta's will eventually eat the ghost shrimp

Adult ghost shrimp are too large to fit in a betta's mouth though, aren't they? Since they don't sell constantly I've seen a lot of places with adults. As far as I know they get to be close to an inch.

ashleynicole said:
99.99% of betta's will eventually eat the ghost shrimp

I've kept many many bettas with ghost shrimp with not one single casualty...People speculate the because of their transparency, the bettas show little intrest/can't see them too well.

However, if you are talking about dwarf shrimp with a betta, then you are absolutely correct.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Cant say thats true. I have only ever owned 1 betta and we put a ghost shrimp in there and hes ok.

Me too! I have ghost shrimp with a beta right now. What about some small cichlids?

It would be horrible for your 5 gallon to fail because your fish were stressed from lack of room to grow.. There's tons of small fish that are "different." If you want something larger, maybe consider a ten gallon? Still not in the cichlid range, but it opens some neat doors.

Actually I do believe that shell dweller cichlids can live in a 5g. But there are tons of nano fish out there for the tank! There are some really cool natives that would be great in the tank, or maybe some exotic killifish, or tiny crabs! Ahhh so many possibilities:D

Bettas are carnivorous hunters. I've seen them tear adult size ghost shrimp to shreds for a meal. I was being funny with the 99.99%, obviously a made up statistic. Do it if you want but don't be surprised when the betta eats them. Bettas are happy as solitary fish.... They may leave them alone but there is always a chance.

i have had ghost shrimp and a male betta before and nothing happened so i think it all depends on the betta

Back
Top Bottom